Chapter 21

"You were gone a long time. Did Nic like his soup?" Mia asks, a knowing smile plastered on her face.

Oh God. She knows.

Which means the whole house probably knows. I didn't really care, but at the same I was a guest in their home. And as a guest, what I did was disrespectful.

Mia sits down across me, setting down her pen and notepad. "Don't worry, your aren't the first one to get caught with a Fierri." She blushes an adorable blush. "Once you get with a Fierri, there's no such thing as privacy anymore. Everyone knows everything."

"Oh, I'm not actually with him."

"Oh?" She says, her lips forming a letter "O" shape. "So... enemies with benefits then?"

I shrug. "I guess you could say that."

Mia wants to finish our conversation, but a customer walks in. Slowly pushing herself up to her feet, she suddenly pauses, a look of shock, worry, and excitement written all over her face.

There's a dark wet spot on her apron as she looks down at the pool of watery fluid on the floor. "Uh, I think my water just broke," she says nonchalantly. She shouts to her co-worker at the front register. "Leah, you're in charge! I'm about to have my baby!"

Leah's squealing and jumping up and down like a rabbit. People are clapping and congratulating Mia as she grabs her purse from the rack and shifts past the customer out of the door.

I rush to follow her, not sure if she can drive in her current condition. Seeming to read my mind, she says, "I need you to drive."

She pulls out a set of keys and tosses it to me. I catch them not-so-smoothly and rush to open the door to Marcellius' Ferrari. She plops down, working on maintaining a rhythm of slow, even breaths.

Joining her in the driver's side, I slip the key into the ignition. The car roars to life and I speed to the nearest hospital.

"Oh my goodness," Mia says, looking down at the wet seat. "Marcel is going to be pissed."

"You're literally about to have his third baby and that's what you're worried about?"

"He doesn't play about his car." Focusing on the road, I see her from the corner of my eye pulling out her phone and dialing her husband. He picks up on the second ring.

He answers the phone like he already knows what going on. He sounds panicked like Mia was just shot or something.

"No, honey I'm fine. My water just broke. Autumn's taking me to the hospital." She informs him of the hospital we're going to, before telling him she loves him and hanging up the phone.

"Is he always like that?"

"Yes, but he has a reason to. We've been through... a lot." She looks out the window, staring into the distance. She grows sad for a moment, thinking about the past before a contraction hits.

She groans from the pain, clutching her stomach, which only urges me to drive faster. I think I ran through several red lights and almost experienced a near death collision, before safely pulling up to the hospital.

Quickly exiting the vehicle, I help Mia out of the car, and lead her into the hospital. The contractions start to worsen, coming every minute now.

She's trying to keep it together, but she wails from the pain, her breathing all over the place. A Doctor having heard her cries, rushes over to us.

He doesn't say anything as he hurriedly leads her down the hall, leaving me standing in the lobby area, still pumping with adrenaline.

Five minutes go by, and Marcellius arrives. He rushes out of the limo, his suit jacket flapping against the cool breeze.