Prologue - Party Pooper

Beginne am Anfang

"Learn what 'no' means, (y/n)!"

If his eyes were lasers, you just knew you would have a couple of holes through your head. That glare was still following you even as you defeatedly went back towards the other sofa, crashing down and sinking into the plush cushions.

"Fine, I can just ask Cora-san when he gets home."

Just as your brother unpaused his show, he paused it again. The sigh that came from his lips was not one of anger, but more of defeat, having had enough of your child-like tantrum.

"(Y/n), I guarantee that he'll say the same thing."

Your pout redirected to him as he gave you this stern look, one he always gave you when he knew he was right. Tearing your eyes away, it was your turn to sigh. You pulled your knees into your chest and rested your phone on them, typing something into the keyboard.

"Can't you just come with me?"

Law stared down at his phone, glanced at the time, and then looked back up to the television screen. You saw his head shaking from the corner of your eye, pressing his palm into his cheek against the sofa's arm.

"I have homework to do."

Yawning, his gaze flickered over to you momentarily.

"You should have some as well."

As the argument came to a close, you knew there was no way you could win now.

With that, you would just have to sit inside your house and do nothing, watching as all your friends attended what was to be the biggest house party yet this year. Multiple people had already asked you to come, and of course, you had to simply say "I'll see" like some kind of big loser without a life.

Honestly, that's what you felt like sometimes when your brother was overdramatic when it came to you.

Getting in trouble? Pure disappointment. Being asked out? You always felt bad for the poor guy on the receiving end. Dating? That one had been done once before, and my god, it wasn't pretty.

It wasn't like you could just sneak out, either. Hell would be raised and you didn't like the thought of enduring that. So much so for living the teenage dream.

"It's the one night where everyone is in town."

Even though you said it more to yourself than anything, Law did hear your teary mumble. He could see your sulking frame from his peripheral, the sorry sight causing him to feel just that extra bit of guilt. Sure, he wanted to make sure you didn't dig yourself into a hole you couldn't get out of and stayed safe, but it wasn't nice seeing you so down.

You were just about ready to give up and go to bed, slowly stretching as you rose to your feet. The party started in little over an hour, and there was no way you'd be able to do anything now.

But right as your feet padded towards the living room door, you were stopped with the complete and utter defeat of your brother in the form of yet another soft sigh.

"Alright, you can go."

It felt like someone had scraped you off the floor and remoulded you, making sure to fix your aching frown into a grin. You turned on your feet as fast as light travelled and stared at your brother with eyes of sparkling jewels, your heart feeling like it was about to keel over and die with happiness.

"Thank you, thank you, thank-!"

"But on one condition."

The hurried steps of your approached suddenly ceased, your smile wobbling into a frown. Law's eyes connected with yours and you calmed down considerably, slumping into a much more natural state.