Epilogue

triggers: mentions of infidelity, curse words, angst.
words: 1.4k

The dust had just started to settle between you and Sidney. Getting back to Pittsburgh after the summer had ended you and Sidney were making moves in a positive direction in your marriage. You had long conversations about where to go from there. Arranging monthly therapy appointments for the both of you, you were starting to see flowers grow in what you thought was a dead yard.

You decide to keep what happened between both of you, not telling any family members or trusted friends. Though you have no control over what the other man and woman do, you can only control what you have in your hands. The past is something that is already a done deal, but the future is able for change.

Getting through the first fourth of the schedule, the Pens are to play the Islanders for the first time since the series loss. Neither you or Sid talked about it. It was something that you started doing, per your therapist. Leave hockey outside of the home and start finding other things to have conversations about. And as hard as that was for both of you, it was working.

But this is what kept you up at night. This game is what made you have nightmares. What if the tension between the two gets too much and someone ends up hurt? You don't know if Sidney could handle another serious injury, due to all that his body has been through in the past years.

The morning of the game you didn't talk much. Getting up after Sidney had left for morning skate, you made yourself some breakfast and turned on the local morning show to try and distract yourself. But of course the first segment you see is sports, and they're of course talking about the game to be played later tonight.

"Mat Barzal seems to have not played his best hockey these past few games, what do you think will happen tonight downtown?" the news anchor asked his associate sitting across from him.

"I think the Islanders defense needs to step it up, the pens are looking pretty hot right now. Even though he's already got three, it seems like Sidney Crosby is on the hunt for a fourth cup and will do whatever it takes to make that happen. So i think it'll be a pretty solid matchup."

Soon after they conclude the converstation and move onto the Steelers. You hadn't been paying attention to what had been going on with the other teams in the division, but you weren't shocked to findout that Mat wasn't on his best game. You can't blame him, you would be pretty nervous to come back and play in Pittsburgh against the husband of the girl you hooked up with a couple of times.

But as the hours rolled by and it got closer and closer to game time, you found yourself not worrying about it. Sidney walked in the door right at lunch time and greeted you with a kiss on the cheek. He would be home for a couple of hours before he was to suit up and head back out for the game.

Sitting on the couch together and catching up on some shows, you leaned your head against his shoulder and started to close your eyes. He smiled to himself, "sleepy already? It's only one thirty." he teased, setting his plate in front of him on the coffee table.

You giggled and raised up, crossing your legs together and reaching for the blanket. "This is what old people do, they nap at one thirty in the afternoon." Getting more comfortable on the couch next to your husband you snuggled close to him, letting his warmth help you fall to sleep.

"Well the last time i checked, old people aren't flexible. And you, my love, are very flexible." you gasped and slapped his shoulder playfully slapped his shoulder, scooting over and resting your head on the throw pillow instead. He laughed and laid on top of you, giving your cheek a sloppy kiss.

"You're terrible, you know that?" You said, rolling your eyes as he moved himself behind you so that you were now the little spoon behind Sidney. The show continued on as you paid attention to the plot, but Sidney was too focused on how to phrase the question that's been in his mind for the entire day. He moved some of your hair and tucked it behind your ear, moving his arm around your middle. Resting his head against another pillow he kissed the top of your head lightly.

"You're nervous about the game, aren't you?" Sidney asked, his voice soft and light. You didn't answer right away. Chewing on your lip and taking a deep breath you nodded your head in response. "That's all I've been thinking about, honestly."

He sighed, leaning forward and kissing your temple lightly. "I'm nervous too," he admitted. Sidney held you close to him, getting the feeling that you were feeling insecure. "You don't have to go if you don't want to. You can just stay here and watch Virgin River without me if you want." he teased in an effort to brighten the mood.

You smiled, lacing your fingers with his as he adjusted his position behind you on the couch to get more comfortable. You would feel terrible about not going. It would have been the first game you'd missed since you were sick and had to stay home two seasons ago. Even then Sidney had to strap you to the couch almost, forcing you to stay healthy and well. You hated not going to his games. For some odd reason it felt wrong to you. There was no rule or law that said you had to go. It just felt nice, being there in support of your husband as he did what God made him to do. Playing hockey.

"I really won't be heartbroken if you don't come, I promise." his dark eyes were soft as he gave you a slight grin. You looked down at your stomach and nodded your head.

"Yeah, I think I wanna stay here. I think it's best that I do." you sighed a heavy breath. Sidney moved to where he was basically laying on top of you now, his right arm sneaking underneath your body and his left resting against your side. Nestling his head on your shoulder he kissed your clothed body, closing his eyes momentarily.

Sidney learned to cherish these moments he had with you. After the hell the two of you went through together, as he would call it, he's learned to not waste any time he has with you. Sometimes you think that he acts like you had a near death experience. Several nights were spent with tears and emotions being shown, Sidney crying into your shoulders about how he almost lost you.

"I'm thankful for you," he mumbles. You lean your head against his and close your eyes too. In this moment, you feel incredible peace. If you could stay here forever you would. Just you and your husband, laying on the couch together.

"I'm thankful for you too, Sid. you're so incredible, i don't even know what i'd do without you." kissing the side of his head you feel him grin against your body. He moves to sit up, knowing that he has to get up soon to get ready.

He looks down at you, both of your legs resting on his as his hands rubbed up and down your legs. "I was thinking...that maybe after we get back to being a hundred percent..." he started, looking down at the couch cushion beneath him. He was almost scared to bring this topic up to you, afraid of what you might have to say.

"But maybe after therapy, or maybe even after this next season, we can get to work on those kids we used to talk about." he looks up at you with flushed cheeks and nervous eyes.

The two of you haven't talked about children in years. After some trials and errors you came back with negative tests every time. Deciding to stop trying you thought that it was for the best, and that maybe you didn't have children written in the stars for you. But it was clear that Sidney hadn't stopped thinking about them.

"I'd like that." you responded. It made his heart swell and a proud and beautiful smile creeped onto his face. He leaned down and pressed his lips to yours lightly, his slight scruff making you churn your face as it itched your skin.

"Then I can't wait, Y/N."

FINISHED.