2

The last day of school before Christmas break had arrived and with it, the Christmas play performed by some of the school students and with the scenery that you and Sam, or little Dixon as you thought of him most times, had made those previous weeks.

The play was held at the gym of the school, and you were sat down on one of the benches at the back of the room, alone, enjoying the beginning of the play, grinning whenever a student of your classroom showed up, including little Dixon.

At first, the teacher in charge of directing the play had said that he couldn't spare any role on the play for Sam Dixon, which you were sure had been just an excuse, and little Dixon hadn't complained, but you knew he was disappointed, he'd wanted to participate on the play, had talked to you about it, and had been excited about making the scenery with you, even though nobody thanked or credited any of you.

Even though you had mostly ignored other teachers rudeness towards you, not wanting the fuss of a fight with coworkers, if anyone was mean to your students, you were enraged, and you felt especially protective over Sam Dixon, and so you hadn't stopped until he'd gotten a role on the play. It was a small one, with barely any words, but it was better than nothing.

Little Dixon had told you that his uncle Daryl wanted to go see him, but that he wasn't sure he'd be able to change shifts at the garage to make it on time, but five minutes into the play, you noticed the door opening slightly and Daryl walking in. You waved at him, silently indicating him to go sit with you, but if he saw you he ignored it, and instead he decided to stand at the back of the gym, leaning against the wall.

Even though Daryl had said that you two were friends now, he was still rather reserved and awkward around you, although during all that week, he'd spent a good couple of hours every late afternoon helping you and Sam with the scenery. He didn't talk much, though, mostly it was you and little Dixon doing the talking, but you still thought that he was a good guy deep down, even if surprisingly shy, someone you wanted to be friends with and get to know better, in that town where everyone seemed to be against you.

Once the play finished, you went to congratulate the students and greet the parents of yours, and even though most of them kept being rather cold and even harsh towards you, you wanted to think that some were starting to warm up to you, especially the ones who had to send their kids to your extracurricular art activity because they worked longer shifts. After that, you looked around and saw Sam talking excitedly to Daryl, so you smiled and approached them.

"Good job, kiddo." You reached to mess Sam's hair and he grinned at you. "So, how was the play, Daryl, better than you thought it would?"

"Barely," Daryl said, but you caught his small smirk and knew he was joking. "Scenery was good, though." He shrugged, looking down before he looked at little Dixon and his smile grew. "Actin' was good too."

"It was so fun!" Sam grinned at you both. "You think there'll be another play before summer, Y/N? So we can make the scenery too and act?"

"I'm sure it will!" You had no idea, but little Dixon seemed so excited, and the kids seemed to have had such fun, that if nobody wanted to organize another play, then you would. "Hey, I was thinking...do you both want to come with me to that café near here and have some hot chocolate?"

You had never hung with Daryl outside the school, but you wanted to move forwards with this friendship thing. Besides, there wouldn't be school for a couple of weeks, and you hoped to hang with Daryl in the meantime.

"Yes!" Sam nodded, grinning, but Daryl seemed awkward, looking around at some of the teachers and parents who seemed to be gossiping with each other, and then at the ground.