Nightmare

Notes ~ post s3, Hopper doesn't get taken, the cabin isn't destroyed, Joyce and Hopper are dating. 

Joyce's Dream:

Joyce stood up from the cold metallic floor, vision still blurry and her head pounding, she saw Hopper the other side of the glass pane. He was fighting the giant Russian maniac who had been following them nearly all week. She gasped seeing Hopper's head underneath the spinning machinery. 

She watched nervously, hoping Hopper came out on top, and he did! But there was a problem, huge electrical sparks were flying out of the malfunctioning machine. She could barely hear Dustin screaming down the walkie talkie for them to close the gate, her head felt as it was underwater and everything was muffled. Closing the gate would mean killing him. She took off one of the belts from the Russian uniform and placed it around one of the keys, reaching the other with her hand. 

She looked up at Hopper, he was crying, she hadn't seen him cry since he was drafted for Vietnam. He nodded at her, he let her know it was okay to let go. She didn't want to, he had so much to live for, he couldn't die now. Dustin's voice became more frantic and she knew she had to do it. She looked up at him one last time, his ocean blue eyes meeting her brown doe eyes, both of their looks read 'I love you' but neither had the courage to say it. 

She looked down and closed her eyes before turning the keys, once the flashing had stopped Joyce opened her eyes and he wasn't there. She ran onto the platform where he was just stood, nothing, not even ashes or any trace of him. She stood still where she was, tears flowing down her face, she'd just killed the man she loved. 

Byers Household:

Joyce shot up, breathing heavily almost as if she was hyperventilating. Tears slid down her face, landing on the sleeves of Hopper's flannel she was wearing, he'd left it the last time him and El stayed the night. She walked down the hall, her breathing fast and heavy and dialled Hopper's number that she now knew off by heart. 

One ring, nothing. Two rings, nothing. Three rings, "hello?" she heard El say down the phone. "Hi El, can- can you get Hop please?" Joyce asked trying to control her breathing and stop her tears. "yeah I'll get him now" El replied, leaving the phone in Max's hand and going into Hopper's room. She flicked on the light and Hopper woke up after a short moment. 

Hopper looked up to see a El at his door, he glanced at his alarm clock, it was 3am! "El what the heck it's 3am" he exclaimed getting out of his bed and walking to the door, "what's wrong?" he asked now noticing the look on her face. "it's Joyce, she's on the phone and she doesn't sound too good" El said and Hopper quickly moved to the hall, taking the phone from Max and the two girls walked back inside of El's room, closing the door.  

"babe you alright?" he questioned down the phone, becoming even more worried when he heard her crying. "Hop" she cried quietly, "can you come over? it was bad" she said, more tears falling from her face remembering the dream. "I'll be over in 10, hang in there for me Joy" he said hanging up the phone and knocking on El's door. 

She opened it slowly with her powers and let him in, "is Joyce okay?" the two girls questioned at the same time. "I don't know but I'm going over there now, think she had a nightmare" he explained, "I'll be there, I'm not sure how long but if anything happens call Joyce's okay?" They both nodded and he left the room. 

He put on his boots and grabbed his keys before stepping out into the cold December morning, shivering remembering he was only in flannel pyjamas. He walked over the thin blanket of snow covering the grass to his blazer and got inside, blasting the heating. He didn't care how icy the roads were, he drove at well over 60 to get to the Byers house. When he pulled up he noticed Jonathan's car wasn't there meaning him and Will were probably at a sleepover. 

He unlocked the door with the spare key Joyce had given him and found her on the couch shivering, tears streaming quickly down her face and her breath quick and heavy. Hopper quickly closed the door and rushed to her side, hugging her immediately. They stayed like that for a while, just him holding her, making her feel safe. 

After her breathing slowed and the tears were kept to a minimum Hopper decided to ask, "what happened in the dream baby?" Joyce choked up, unsure of what to answer, how did you tell someone you dreamt about their death? "I- I dreamt of the night at Starcourt" she mumbled, a fresh tear sliding down her colour drained cheeks.

Hopper sensed that wasn't all that happened in the dream because Starcourt ended happy for most, "and?" he questioned. "you- you didn't make it" she said, leaning into Hopper's shoulder and beginning to cry again. Hopper cradled her small body and held her close, "I'm here, I'm okay" he whispered in attempts to calm her down, which slightly worked, her breathing slowing and her cries were at a minimum. 

"why does this keep happening Hop?" she asked quietly into his chest. He ran his hand through her brown wavy hair and sighed, "I don't know baby, I wish I could help more." She sniffled and pulled away from him slightly to wipe her eyes, "the only nights I don't get them is when you and El stay the night" she flashed a small smile, "maybe you could stay?" she asked nervously. 

Hopper nodded, "if it helps you get a good nights sleep I'll stay, El knows to call here if there's any issues and Max is with her so I think we'll be okay" he replied signalling her to move into his embrace. She did and when he took a second glance at her he noticed something, "hey is that my shirt?" he asked laughing at how large it was on her. 

"what no" she said sarcastically, trying her best not to burst out laughing. Hopper smiled, seeing her a little happy made him happier than ever, "you know Horowitz you've never been a good liar." She giggled and a blush rose onto her face at the use of her maiden name. He stood up from the couch and held a hand out to her which she took, "come on, you're tired" he said leading her into her bedroom. 

They climbed into Joyce's bed and settled under the thick duvet, no longer shivering from the December wind. Joyce leaned into Hopper's chest and he stroked her hair that was now covering most of his flannel shirt. "I love you" she mumbled before sleep took her. Hopper kissed her head, "I love you too" he whispered before falling to sleep too.