Why do you love me?

Notes ~ Post s3, Hopper is never taken, Hopper and El are living with the Byers, Jopper got the Enzo's date, El has her powers.

Friday July 12th 1985:

Hawkins, Indiana. A pretty normal town, well to those who didn't know the secrets Hawkins held. The warm July sun shone through the huge glass window of Melvald's general store The July heat warmed the store and practically boiled the one small woman inside. Her wavy brown hair swept up into a low ponytail, sweat beads dangling off her bangs and dripping onto her forehead.

This woman however didn't live a normal life like most in Hawkins, in fact her life was opposite from normal. She had faced a parallel universe, government conspiracies, Russian invasions, interdimensional creatures, giving her son an exorcism from a monster and now she was helping her soulmate, the love of her life raise a girl with telekinetic powers.  

Speaking of her soulmate, he just walked into the store. The sound of his work boots stomping off the floor left an echo throughout the store as he walked closer to Joyce Byers. Joy filled her numb eyes as he came into her vision and she read the small name tag on his police uniform 'Hopper.' His eyes scanned around the store, making sure they were alone before walking over to her.

He sat on the counter next to her, placing the brown paper bag in the gap between them. She looked up at the much taller man and smiled, her cheeks going a light pink colour. 'God why am I blushing' she asked herself silently. She didn't know why she was blushing, 'you're a forty three year old woman Joyce pull yourself together' is what she usually told herself in these situations but it rarely worked.

When she was with Hopper she felt like a teenager walking past her boyfriend in school, crazy in love with everything he did and every move he made. She was extremely in love with him but her insecurities always took over her and she ended up thinking of crazy scenarios of him leaving her because he didn't want to date 'crazy Joyce Byers' or there was someone prettier. 

Hopper never knew any of this, and she probably wouldn't tell him she'd just bottle it up like most things. She picked up the brown bag that sat between them, opened it and smiled. He bought lunch with him, knowing she would have forgotten like most days. She always insisted it was fine and she didn't need lunch but Hopper lived in the house, he knew most days she rushed to work without breakfast either. 

She handed him the bag with his half of the lunch left, "thanks Hop" she said a wider fake smile spreading across her face trying to cover her insecurities. They chatted and laughed while eating their lunch, Joyce attempting to forget everything going on inside her head, which was nearly impossible. 

The sound of the bell alarmed the two who had just finished their lunch, it was a customer. Hopper moved around the store, pretending he was looking for something for Flo or the office. The customer was no other than Chrissy Carpenter, the girl who tried to ruin Joyce and Hopper's high school relationship. 

Joyce felt anger bubble up inside of her and course through her veins when Chrissy walked down the same isle Jim was in. Joyce watched until the skinny, tall, blonde was out of her sight, Joyce sighed, this wasn't jealously it was insecurities. She listened carefully, not being able to hear the full conversation, just them both laughing. 

Hopper left the store first, deciding not to buy anything, Chrissy left five minutes after he did, her buying just some top up groceries Joyce assumed. Her shift dragged from then, she wasn't concentrated at all, her thoughts mainly negative. She was grateful Hopper was working a late shift tonight, she wouldn't see him until around 9pm, that gave her around 4 hours to get it together.