Chapter 19

Once he was out of sight, my nerves really started kicking in. My stomach felt as if it was tied in a knot, and I hardly noticed the small tears in the couch from my nails digging so deep into the leather. I was so scared. Darlene already was angry with me, not even hearing us explain anything to her, and so what would Stephanie do? I didn't want my best friend to start hating me, but I knew she had a perfectly good reason to. I was totally breaking the girl code here. Dating your best friend's twin brother is definitely a rule breaker. I was waiting for her to start screaming until I saw her walk into the room with Alex standing behind her.

She caught eyes with Darlene and I swear they must have been exchanging thoughts through their mind because of the puzzled expression on both of their faces. He didn't tell her yet.

She sat down next to me and suddenly started giggling. "What in the world are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you," I said dryly.

"How did you even know that this was my house?" She looked puzzled.

I opened my mouth but no sound came out. I tried again, but still was on mute. Thank God Alex started the conversation for me. "Steph," he said, stepping directly in front of her.

She stayed still. "Yes?"

"Rosie and I have something to tell you," he replied, far more relaxed then I was.

She turned to look at me, almost like she was already mad. "Rose," she questioned.

I exhaled sharply and finally just let it out. "You're my best friend. You really are. And, I hope you always will be," I trailed off.

"Of course," she smiled widely.

"No matter what," I continued.

"I will."

I looked to see Alexander staring at me wide eyed, his back towards Darlene. "Keep going," he mouthed silently.

I nodded. "Stephanie," I stated. "I've been hiding something from you."

She frowned, her lip trembling. "Best friend's do not keep secrets," she whispered.

Before I could respond, Darlene spoke up. "Some best friend you have," she muttered.

I stood up in devastation. "Can't you just let me talk?" I said, her face dropping instantly.

"Fine," she groaned, standing up and slamming her book onto the table. She crossed her arms and waited.

"Darlene," Alex said firmly. "If you're going to make problems, then you should just leave right now."

"Oh really?" she growled, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Alright," she glared at me, and I stared back at her in silence. "Then maybe I should." And she left the room.

Stephanie was still sitting down motionless by the time I looked at her. "What's going on?" she asked me faintly.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "Me and your brother have a confession."

She automatically closed her eyes, dropping her head. "Oh god," she barely said.

Alexander was now standing at my side, making sure I was all right. "What?" I asked her nervously.

"What did she do," she rolled her eyes. "It's Darlene, right? What did she do that I don't know about?"

My heart was pounding through my chest. "It has nothing to do with her," I assured her.

Her eyes were now looking back and forth from me to Alex, before she stood up and stepped away from us. "No," she said softly. "You've got to be kidding me."