Chapter 4

By the time we got to school, it took us a little over five minutes. It was a really big building in the front, and off to the sides were other buildings that were probably attached to the school. I couldn't believe how big it was. It looked so different than my last high school down in Naples, with barely any plants and there was some kind of weird huge fence, keeping God knows what out. People were scattered around, some near the gate, some sitting on benches, and others near this big tree hiding from the main windows so they could smoke their cigarettes. I noticed my brother's eyes shoot straight to them, which concerned me deeply.

Right then and there I realized how bad this was most likely going to turn out to be. The students looked so scary, and mean, that I almost didn't want to look any of them in the eyes. Jake and me found the front office easily, and went to check in as fast as we could. I could tell he was nervous, just by the way his hands were balled into fists. It was really scary, at least for me, because I knew I wasn't good at being alone.

"Here you go," the lady said to him, rolling her eyes like she was irritated. "Jake Marshell, correct?"

"Yes." He took the small packet quickly and practically ripped it from her grasp.

She shook her head at him and clicked her tongue a few times. "You'll be in section B," she smirked.

"Okay," he said coldly. "Thanks," and he turned around and began to walk out.

"Wait for me," I urged.

"Why? You're probably not in the same building as me."

"Yes I am," I stated firmly, like I actually knew where I was going to be.

The foreign lady spoke up immediately after my mouth closed. "Section C," she smiled, yellow and big teeth showing entirely.

"No way," I refused.

"Yes dear." She strained out her arm holding the packet, but I didn't take it.

"I can't be alone, you don't understand," I begged. "I have being by myself. I don't even know where I'm going."

"That's exactly why there's a large map in this packet," she mumbled softly, rolling her eyes and heavily sighing.

"Rosalie," Jake groaned. "You're a junior this year."

"But can't you at least walk me to my first class? I'm shy," I said, folding my arms across my chest and giving him my innocent puppy dog face.

He stared at me blankly. "I'm going to be late. Maybe I'll see you around," he shrugged, not caring.

"But you're in a different part of the building," I argued.

"Can't you just act like a big girl?" he scowled.

How could he be so mean? "Thanks a lot," I glared at him.

"Yup."

"I hate you," I told him loudly.

''Cool.'' He turned on his heel and then walked out the door turning left.

I looked back to the lady still holding out my packet, and stared down at the floor. Suddenly a girl walked in, stomping her feet along the way. She had short, dark, black hair and was wearing sweatpants and a sweater for an outfit. Her eyes were to the side of her, as if an invisible friend was standing a few feet away, which I didn't really understand. She looked angry as she reached the desk. "I'm late on the first day, yeah I know," she muttered.