21st Sword | Shadow, Flames and Disorder

Start from the beginning

"It's because you're human. Because you'll grow old. Because you'll die. Because of your human limits, you'll never reach that place." Akaza extended his hand out towards Rengoku, before casually shifting his gaze over to the Shadow Pillar.

"(Y/N) is the best example of that. He's gone beyond humanity and taken half a step into the Realm of the Highest." Akaza grinned, staring excitedly towards the Shadow Pillar. He could sense it.

That sharp edge that constantly lingered around him like a dark shadow.

That...Domain.

"..." (Y/N) merely stared at Akaza with confusion. What was he on about?

"So, why don't you take that same step, Kyojuro? Become a Demon, like us." Akaza extended his hand towards the Flame Pillar, Rengoku glancing at it.

"Do that, and you can go on training for a hundred, for two hundred years. You can become stronger and reach the pinnacle of strength. You can enter the Realm of the Highest." Akaza's words carried with them the promise of power.

Tanjiro struggled into his hands from behind the two Pillars, a terrified expression on his face.

"Of all the Demons I've met until now, he has the strongest scent to Kibutsuji's! I have to stand up...I've got help Rengoku-san and (Y/N)-nii!" Tanjiro doubled his efforts to stand up, struggling behind the Pillars.

"...Stop wasting your time." Surprisingly, the first person to speak up wasn't Rengoku, but rather, it was (Y/N). His aura sensory already gave him a clear verdict as to Rengoku's feelings to the offer.

"Both growing old and dying are part of the beauty of being an ephemeral creature like a human. The fact that we grow old and die is what makes human life so unbearably precious and noble." Rengoku spoke calmly, his gaze and tone both even and unwavering.

Inosuke struggled in the remains of the shattered train, chatter beginning to rise in the distance as the people helped each other out of the wreckage, ensuring that nobody was gravely injured.

""Strength" is not a word used only to describe the body. I respect (Y/N)'s will to continue to fight on behalf of humans despite being a Demon, but even so, I cannot condone taking a similar action recklessly." Rengoku spoke clearly, locking eyes with the Upper Moon Three demon.

"..." (Y/N) watched on silently, his lips a thin line.

"This boy is not weak. Do not insult him." Rengoku suddenly declared, Tanjiro letting out a gasp of surprise as his head turned towards Rengoku.

"Although (Y/N) may be a demon, he and I share similar ideals. And our ideals and senses of value...far differ from yours. No matter the reason, I will never become a Demon!" Rengoku gave his final verdict, a resolute expression on his face. His eyes, which shone with such passion, burned with unwavering determination.

"...And you? Will you take another step and become a full demon?" Akaza calmly gazed at (Y/N).

"...I became a demon to survive. To this day, I've yet to kill even a single human. But, with each passing day, I can sense my strength growing more and more, but even I sometimes stop to question myself - when will that strength and instinct overwhelm my sense of reason?" (Y/N) suddenly spoke, his icy blue orbs hidden beneath his (h/c) hair.

"Let me make something clear to you. Even though I'm a demon like you, I will never misuse this power and bear my fangs against humans. You call me a half-ling...to you, that might be an insult. But to me, that's more than fine. If it means even a trace of my humanity remains, then I'm all too happy to stay right where I am." (Y/N) spoke coolly, casually glancing at his hands. That's right.