Chapter 18

The news was flooded with articles about the teenage couple.

"New girlfriend of the youngest son of Endeavor?"

"A new scandal? Endeavors son has a girlfriend!"

"Shoto Todoroki with his girlfriend?"

The articles had photos of them kissing under the rain, her manicured hands tangled in his messy, damp hair, their lips interlocked in a messy kiss, the rain soaking into their clothes. All of the articles had promised that they would get a interview with the father of Todoroki: Endeavor, flame hero, Enji Todoroki. 

That meant a long talk. 

Long.

"Son, I would like to talk with this girl you were out with. I m-" 

"No. I'm not coming back home tonight." Todoroki said, interrupting him just before he could finish that sentence. He didn't need to hear the rest to know what he was going to say. The hatred for his father burned deep inside him, and if he didn't approve of Momo that would be the last straw. "I'm staying here."

"I just meant to ask what kind of Qu-" 

Todoroki seethed and quickly hung up the phone. "Stupid father." He muttered, forcefully plugging in his phone to charge. 

His father would never ask about his girlfriend unless it was to find a suitable mate for him. Todoroki has known for months that his father had tried to find someone that would increase the chances of becoming the greatest heroes, but to go this far for this lifelong dream was just stupid and idiotic. 

It was his life, not his fathers.

But the news articles with his name tagged kept popping up in his emails—because of Natsuo's idea to 'keep up with the times'—and draining the majority of his battery. Honestly, it was annoying. 

Every minute another article would pop up, only fueling his rage. How did they even get that picture? How did they even manage to get them from that photo? How did they even...

The thoughts and doubts kept pouring in his mind, flooding all his thoughts, giving him no time to even think about the homework that was due the next day. He couldn't even begin to think until a soft noise came from the door. 

Momo quietly knocked at the door. "Come in, Yaoyorozu." Todoroki murmured, putting pressure on his forehead. 

"How'd you know it was me?" asked Momo quietly, creaking the door open. She quietly walked in, her steps soft as she approached him. 

Todoroki's eyebrows were furrowed together as if he were focusing on something, although there was nothing but his hands in front of him. His eyes were shut with force, fists clenched on his knees. 

His face relaxed a little as he responded, "You're the only one that knocks around here. Everyone else just barges in." Todoroki nonchalantly stared down at his hands, and sighed. "You need something?"

Momo could practically see the anger seething off him, and with that, she took a seat next to him. He let out another sigh and glanced over to his side. Her face was struck with worry and her lips were just slightly parted in somewhat of a frown. 

"You okay? This publicity thing sure isn't giving me a break from the media." Momo asked as she put her hand on his shoulder, tracing little circles as she pulled him in for a hug. He fell into her body, shuffling around to make himself more comfortable. 

Todoroki grabbed onto Momo's hand that was placed on his shoulder and engulfed her hand in his, both the cold and warm spreading onto each side of her hand. "My father wants to meet you." He murmured, not even a hint of a smile on his face. 

Momo wasn't very sure if that was encouraging to their relationship or not. "What does that mean?" 

His father wasn't the normal type of father. 

He was never there for him when it actually mattered. 

All he cared about was Quirks.

There was no doubt in his mind that that was going to be the only thing he was after.

"It means he wants to find out if you have a good Quirk." Todoroki said haughtily, practically spitting out the word 'Quirk'. His face scrunched up in a disgusted face; just thinking about him was enough. "He won't approve of you unless you have a good Quirk."

Momo's face froze and her breath hitched. 

Not approve? Isn't his father Endeavor?

She swallowed down the lump in her throat and put on a smile for the sake of Todoroki. If it was really this bad, she had to do something to make him feel better. Momo's hand ran soothing circles on his shoulder as she spoke in a gentle tone,  "I'm sure it'll be fine."

Todoroki didn't move. He knew that she was wrong. "Whatever you say." He murmured angrily, not caring about the haughty tone he used. 

Momo couldn't help but feel a sharp pain in her chest; she knew that he was just frustrated, but honestly. It was a bit rude. She inhaled a sharp breath and let out it out slowly.

-

The next day, Todoroki was gone. His seat was left empty as Aizawa announced that he had to travel back home for a familial emergency. 

Momo glanced over at the empty seat beside her and let out yet another breath. She knew that it surely wasn't because of some familial emergency. Her back straightened out of instinct as she thought to herself,

It's because of me.