Chapter 5 The race

Author's Note 

Hello my dear readers! I know I am two days late again, but here is the chapter. I hope you guys like it. 

P.S. : Those who don't know what a bunny hop is, it is an MTB stunt in which the rider shifts his weight on the back tyre and lifts up the bike on one wheel. Then he effectively puts pressure on the back tyre, and pulling the bike up in air. This is known as bunny hop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Idaten...GO!" She cried out, launching out in the air and into to the race.

She gripped the handles tightly, maintaining an astonishing amount of balance and speed for her first race. She kept on paddling fast and in a few moments sped past Corey, leaving dust in her trail. Her eyes were focused on the track, on all forms of obstacles and advantages she could have. She was quite ahead of Corey when she entered the forest, her ribs aching from the amount of pressure she was putting on her body so soon after her injuries.

However, she was confident she would win. Corey was way behind her and there was no way he could catch up to her. She smiled, her heart filled with confidence.

Suddenly, her tyre collided into something and she flipped over, falling off her bike headfirst. She was thrown off to a side while Falcon X landed opposite to her. A tiny branch of tree cut her arm and it started bleeding. She got up slowly, not understanding what just happened.

Corey sped past her, turning his head around to laugh at her mockingly.

"You thought I would let you win so easily?" He said.

Eloise realized that the whole track was covered with traps which were set specially for her. Apparently, Corey knew about their location as he flawlessly rode across the forest. She breather deeply for a moment. She couldn't lose the race. Everybody had their hopes on her. But how would she win with all these traps? If she fell into one another trap she might not be able to even get up to finish the race.

Her eyes shone with fear. For a moment, she could see no path, no way to win the race. Corey was cheating but there were no witnesses. The only way to truly drive him out of this town was to defeat him.

'But...how?' She thought.

She looked up at the sky, then at the track intensely, hoping to see some solution. And then...she got it. Her expression turned to one of realization, and she knew what she had to do. Corey was an arrogant person, always underestimating his opponent and overestimating his techniques of cheating. But this time, he made a terrible blunder.

She got onto her bike, focusing on the race. Leaning on the front tyre, she put all her weight on her front part, pulling the back tyre in air. She started paddling really fast, not letting her bike move forward and increasing the speed at an alarming rate. Then, she let go. Firing into the air with the speed of a Falcon, she didn't stop.

Rather than continuing on the race course, she directed herself toward one of the tilted trees, jumping on it with a bunny hop. Continuing with her newly-formed path, she bunny hoped onto the trees, hoping from one branch to another and avoiding all the traps altogether.

Corey had placed all traps at ground lever. Never had he expected that Eloise will start jumping on the trees. Making up for her lost time, she quickly covered the distance between her and Corey. He turned his head behind, shocked to see Eloise coming after him.

"How?!" He sputtered.

He increased his pace, adamant on maintaining the gap between them and winning the race. However, he didn't knew his plan had already failed. Eloise leaped onto the final branch, pushing with all her might onto the wood, bending it at an abnormal angle and then, she was flying high in the air, just above Corey.