"𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒆." - 𝑽𝑰𝑰

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Delaina."

"Do you want water? Or I can make chicken soup?" I said. 

"Water will be fine." He said. I got up and went to get him a glass of water. Everyone else sat at the kitchen table, looking sick. Dally looked the worst.

I went back into the living room and handed Johnny a glass of water.

"Here you go Johnny." I said.

"Thank you." He said. He tried to smile but I could tell it hurt. I started to get back up but he grabbed my wrist.

"Tell Dally to come here. Please?" I nodded my head.

I went back into the kitchen and sat beside Dally.

"Hes alright." I said, patting Dally on the shoulder. "He wants you to go over there."

Dally stood up and went into the living room with Johnny. 

The rest of us just sat there, not knowing what to do.

"Well, I need to head home. See y'all later." Steve said breaking the silence.

"Bye." I said, and everyone else followed suit.

Johnny slept on our couch that night. We were all tired from the pretty eventful day. 

~

I woke up early the next morning because we had school. Everyone was pretty much back to normal. On the exterior at least.

Johnny was feeling a lot better now. His face wasn't as swollen and he was back to his normal self, or at least as normal as he can be now. Hes a lot more jumpier, but I would be too. 

I really did feel bad for him. I had seen him take a beating from his father with a two-by-four and he didn't even let out a whimper. But last night, seeing him crying and barley able to move, I would understand why hes now afraid of his own shadow. I don't think I've ever seen Johnny as worse as I had last night.

The walk to school with Ponyboy was silent. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was a comfortable silence. 

"You think Johnny's alright?" Ponyboy asked. 

"Yeah, I think hes doin' just fine." I said.

"I sure hope so." He said.

The school day was normal, those girls that I used to call my friends still bothered me, Mrs. Wood still giving me a hard time. Though, I could tell she was trying to be a tad bit nicer. 

When I got home from school, I finished the very little homework I had left.

Darry made pasta for dinner. It was one of my moms recipes. 

Me and Darry were washing the dishes like we do every night, when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it." Ponyboy said, walking over to the door.

There were a couple muffled voice at the front door, so I dried my hands off and went to go see who it was. 

"Hey Delaina." Johnny said.

"Hi Johnny, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Fine, thanks." He said.

"Hey Delaina, me Pony and Johnny are going to the Drive-In. You wanna come?" Dally asked.

"Nah that's okay. I got some stuff to do. You guys have fun." I said.

"Alright. Bye then." Dally said.

"Bye Delaina." Ponyboy said as he gave me a quick hug.

"Bye." I said and kissed him on the cheek. I waved 'bye' to Dally and Johnny.