A Phone Call

ATHENA

I looked around at everyone to see people taking in how beautiful the venue looked. Some stopped to look at the picture of the movie near the entrance.

"It looks like it's gonna be a hit!" said my director. I thanked him for all his hard work. Told him everything they always wanted to hear, how none of it would've been possible without him, the whole lot.

"Don't forget your place card" I said, pointing towards a small table "it has your table on it"

I noticed my parents sitting at the back of the room, speaking to some people. I made my way towards them, realising they were speaking to Joey's parents.

"Athena, you're here" said my Dad, turning to face me. He had a very fake aura about him for events.

"I was just going to show you to your table"

"We're fine here, dear" said Mom "we're speaking to Joey's parents about your marriage"

I felt sick. They'd controlled all my life, making all my decisions for me. I would've thought this was that one decision that I'd be able to make on my own. I turned around for a second but caught sight of Mattia. He was speaking to the security guard, laughing at something he'd said.

Joey was sitting a few yards away from them, staring at me as if to tell me to sit with him. Pathetic.

"Excuse me" I said to the parents, leaving them quickly and walking away into Mattia's direction. I didn't even have to look to know Joey's eyes were on me and burning with anger.

MATTIA

"And that's when I told her, Mom I don't know where your fuckin' keys are!" he yelled, making me laugh again.

I'd know the security guard for approximately five minutes and knew we'd be extremely good friends.
I looked ahead to see Athena walking towards me, she looked like she was about to cry.

"Hey, hey what happened?" I asked her as she walked into my arms. I tried not to comfort her in front of people but she was making it difficult.

"Can we just leave?" she asked, wiping a tear away from her face. I furrowed my brows at her, placing an arm around her and ushering her towards the exit. She began crying as we got outside. I looked around and we were the only ones there; I pulled her into my chest, hugging her to try calm her down.

"Tell me what happened, Athena" I said, placing one hand on the back of her head as she gripped onto my jacket "was it Joey?"

She shook her head but then nodded her head. I became perplexed and looked down at her, pulling away.

"Did he hurt you?"

"No he didn't hurt me" she wept, walking over to a bench and sitting down on it. I followed her, sitting next to her. She grabbed my hands, holding them tightly as she tried to form a sentence.

"They want me to marry him"

I raised my eyebrows at her comment, looking at her as if she was crazy. But she nodded her head, her eyes refilling with tears again. I grabbed her and pulled her towards me, holding her tightly as if someone was going to snatch her away from me.

"That's not going to happen, I promise" I said, looking at the ground and wondering why I had just made a promise I had no idea how to keep.

"I won't let them do that" I said, wiping her tears away with my thumbs. She pulled away, fixing her hair and looking at me. The moonlight bounced off her porcelain skin, making her more attractive that ever. She looked down at my lips then back at me before speaking.

"I love you, Mattia"

JOEY

I stood by the window, phone to my ear as I watched them. He said something to her, I'd always been a bad lip reader, I didn't even attempt to guess.

She smiled. It wasn't a smile I'd ever seen. She was smiling like a kid in a candy shop.

She leaned forward and kissed him, her hands travelling up his jacket and around his neck as he pulled her closer.

I took out my second phone, taking the picture before taking him off hold. I felt my blood starting to boil as they stood up, holding hands before walking back inside.

"Do it"