Take A Risk

MATTIA

"Here's good" I said to the driver as he parked outside the hospital. I took my seatbelt off but Athena stayed put in her seat.

"You're not coming in?"

"This is personal to you, Mattia" she said, reaching over and holding my hand in hers "go be with them"

I nodded, getting out of the car and running into the hospital. I opened my phone to check the text message my uncle had sent me. Room B16. I became panicky as I realised that was a heart unit.

"I'm here" I said, entering the ward. I saw my uncle and his wife sat on either side of Mom's bed.

She came up to me and gave me a hug. Her hugs were usually nice but this one just gave me even more anxiety. She left the room, wiping her eyes as I went to take her seat. I looked at Mom, she was fast asleep already.

"What happened?" I asked. Her brother looked at me, his eyes red too.

"She was at home and she collapsed" he said "I didn't know until I called her and no one picked up. So I went over and she was passed out on the floor"

"What the fuck" I whispered, holding her hand as my eyes began to heat up.

"The doctors said she's got a blood clot near her heart. It's too far developed for them to do surgery on it"

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked, becoming impatient and teary eyed. Uncle Paulo took a deep breath, wiping his face with his hand. I noticed his bottom lip trembling slightly.

"She's not making it through the night, Mattia"

It felt like a low blow. Like someone had repeatedly punched me where they knew it hurt the most. I'd give anything to switch positions with her right now.

"But she's all I have" I whispered, feeling the tears slide down my face. I reached out, brushing her hair back with my hand. My uncle left the room and I heard him sobbing outside which made everything worse. He never cried.

"I love you, Mamma" I said quietly. I held her hand tighter, trying to hold myself together as the door opened.

"Hi"

I looked towards the door to see Athena walking in, she had a small smile on her face but I didn't return it. I looked back at my Mom, I didn't want to wake her by starting a conversation.

Athena took the hint and came to sit next to me. She placed her hand on my knee, looking at my Mom.

"Mr Polibio?"

A doctor had walked in, holding a clipboard with a stethoscope around his neck. He looked hopeful as he handed me the board.

"What is this?" I asked, wiping my eyes so I could see better. There was too much for my two functioning brain cells to fully comprehend.

"Sir, there's a chance we can save your Mother"

A small gasp exited Athena's mouth and I looked at her. She gave my leg a reassuring squeeze as I looked back at the doctor.

"Continue" I said, placing my hand on hers for composure. I gave him the clipboard as he spoke.

"We just had a meeting. If we operate on her now, we may be able to remove the blood clot. However, this is a risk as it's so close to her heart. If we don't, she won't make it through the night. As you are the next of kin, it's up to you"

I pressed my lips together, looking at my Mom. I'd never had a heavier weight on my shoulders.

"Could we have a second?" Athena asked him. He nodded and left the room.

"I think you should let them operate, Mattia"

"You heard him, there's a risk" I mumbled, letting go of her hand and placing it back on Mom's.

"But she has nothing to lose right now" she said "if you take the operation she could make it, if you don't then you'll forever live with the 'what if' and no one wants that for you, Mattia"

I sighed, nodding my head. She made a good point. But I just wanted the best for my Mom. The operation seemed like the better option, but still.

"Okay" I said, beckoning the doctor back in the room. He looked at Athena then at me.

"Do the operation" I said. He nodded his head firmly, handing me a pen so I could sign for the procedure. I took a deep breath as I scribbled down my signature with a shaky hand.

"It'll be okay" said Athena as the doctor left the room. I felt a shiver go down my spine as the door clicked shut.

This was either going to be the best or worst night of my entire life. Somehow, I was taking the latter.

A/N: sorry for the late update guys! It was wedding season so I was v busy, I'm back now though xo