52-FIFTY TWO💜

Beginne am Anfang

"I did none of that, Hayatie. Look, I'm sure you won't understand it now because you're so angry, but I did all of this just to protect you. I didn't want to lose you."

"No, you're lying. You did that just to punish me for leaving you," I cried out.

"Punish you, Asmau? Really? Do you think I could do that to you? Come on, Asmau."

"I don't know what to believe, and I don't care. Just..." I whispered, "I'm leaving; I won't stay here any longer," I said and started to walk to the exit when he stopped me by pulling my arm.

"You won't do that."

"I will."

"Don't."

"I said I'm leaving! Now let me go," I tried to release myself from his grasp.

"Asmau, just listen to me!" He snapped. "Someone was threatening to harm you, and I just had to do this so I could protect you, and you were so mad at me. I knew you wouldn't agree to follow me back to Abuja, so that's why I did this."

"Whatever it was, you had no right to take me. The worst part of all this is that I thought of you day and night because I knew no other person could rescue me apart from you. It never crossed my mind that you abducted me, Abubakar. It hurts that you did this." Another tear crawled down my eye.

"I understand, and I'm sorry."

"Just leave."

"Haya—"

"I want to be alone," I added.

He sighed, "Okay, then goodnight. We will talk tomorrow. I love you," he said and walked out of the room.

ABUBAKAR

I never did this to hurt her. I was just so scared. I didn't want anything to happen to her, and I knew she was still mad at me and wouldn't agree to follow me back to Abuja. So, I decided to do this. I have no idea who is out there trying to hurt us, and I don't want to risk losing her because if that happens, I will never, ever forgive myself.

So, it's better she gets mad at me. At least I know she's safe, and I will continue to keep her safe, In shaa Allah.

Morning
Asmau

I sighed and walked to the window. I had just woken up from sleep, and everything that happened last night came rushing back to me. I was honestly so angry and disappointed in him. How could he do that to his own wife? Whatever his reason was for doing this, I honestly didn't deserve it, and I wasn't going to take it easy on him, no matter how many times he apologized to me.

I turned my head at the sound of the door, and my eyes fell straightaway on the last person I wanted to see right now. "What are you doing here?" I asked, my tone less than welcoming.

"Good morning, Hayatie. How was your night?" He asked, a smile on his face. He held a tray containing a plate of potato chips, ketchup, and a mug that likely held either tea or coffee.

My face turned into a frown. "My night could have been better if I was at home," I replied as I walked to the bed and sat down.

"Baby, please." He began.

"Don't 'baby' me," I snapped, crossing my arms.

He changed the subject, "Well, it's time for breakfast," he said as he stretched out his hand to grab the tray.

"I'm not hungry."

"You have to eat."

"Banaso," I replied stubbornly, quickly getting up from the bed.