Maze of Memories

Pain... White hot searing pain was all he could feel as images ripped through his mind. Nothing made sense in the jumble of past and present that assaulted Tul's sanity as he struggled to open his eyes.

The voices, muffled as if heard underwater, seemed to draw him closer to consciousness. While a tingling feeling of dread begged him to keep his eyes closed a moment longer.

If ignorance is bliss, Tul was about to be released from it's warm embrace. If knowledge is power he was currently weak as a lamb.

"Ok, Tul get it together! GET IT TOGETHER!!"

He repeated to himself like a mantra as he tried to force his body and mind back to reality.

Stone buildings, the smell of a burning fire, wide open fields littered with sheep, a forest path leading to a meadow blanketed with blue flowers, warm breath on the back of his neck and a tight embrace.

Tul desperately tried to rationalize what he saw and felt in those moments. In those memories.

Memories... it was an absurd notion, impossible, but yet as soon as the thought occurred to him it also felt right.

His mom, with her new head scarf, walking down the tunnel towards the plane, getting on the train to meet a man at a Cafe, meeting Max and shaking his hand.

Max! Where was Max?

A monster hiding in the trees, the feeling of being watched, fear, pain, the smell of blood.

Where was Max?

Tul struggled to the surface as if fighting a strong current determined to pull him back down. He grasped for consciousness the way a drowning man gasps for air.

Max... Max ... over and over the name kept running through his mind, until it was screaming inside his head.

"MAX!!!" Tul shouted as he opened his eyes.

Bolting upright on the bed Tul blinked desperately trying to clear his blurred vision as he called out for a man he had just met, yet somehow needed

He struggled against the hands of a figure holding him down. Panic threatened to overtake him until he felt a gentle squeeze and heard a somehow familiar voice.

"Shhh, it's ok! I'm here! You're safe! Shhh, breathe baby. Please, just breathe." Max spoke softly and loosen his hold on Tul's now relaxing arms. Sliding down his arms till he grasped Tul's trembling hands.

 Sliding down his arms till he grasped Tul's trembling hands