Chapter 12.2 (Part 2)

Henry looked up and saw, ahead of them, Lord Daniel's curricle drawn up outside Delmere House. Hammington himself, elegantly attired, descended and turned to give instructions to his groom, before strolling towards the steps leading up to the door. He was joined by Francis and Henry.

   Francis grinned. "Do you want to see Felix, too?"

   Daniel Hammington's face remained inscrutable. "As it happens, I do," he answered equably. As his glance flickered over the unusually precise picture both Francis and Henry presented, he added, "Am I to take it there's a queue?"

   "Afraid so," confirmed Henry, grinning in spite of himself. "Maybe we should draw lots?"

   "Just a moment," said Francis, studying the carriage waiting by the pavement in front of Daniel's curricle. "That's Felix's travelling chaise. Is he going somewhere?"

   This question was addressed to Daniel Hammington, who shook his head. "He's said nothing to me."

   "Maybe the Flemings have proved too much for him and he's going on a repairing lease?" suggested Henry.

   "Entirely understandable, but I don't somehow think that's it," mused Daniel. Uncertain, they stood on the pavement, and gazed at the carriage. Behind them the door of Delmere House opened. Harveston hurried down the steps and climbed into the chaise. As soon as the door had shut, the coachman flicked his whip and the carriage pulled away. Almost immediately, the vacated position was filled with Felix's curricle, the bays stamping and tossing their heads.

   Francis's brows had risen. "Harveston and baggage," he said. "Now why?"

   "Whatever the reason," said Daniel succinctly, "I suspect we'd better catch your brother now or he'll merrily leave us to our frustrations for a week or more."

   The looks of horror which passed over the two faces before him brought a gleam of amusement to his eyes.

   "Lord, yes!" said Henry.

   Without further discussion, they turned en masse and started up the steps. At that moment, the door at the top opened and their prey emerged. They stopped.

   Felix, eyeing them as he paused to draw on his driving gloves, grinned. The breeze lifted the capes of his greatcoat as he descended the steps.

   "Felix, we need to talk to you."

   "Where are you going?"

   "You can't leave yet."

   With a laugh, Felix held up his hand to stem the tide. When silence had fallen, he said, "I'm so glad to see you all." His hand once more quelled the surge of explanation his drawling comment drew forth. "No! I find I have neither the time nor the inclination to discuss the matters. My answer to your questions are yes, yes and yes. All right?"

   Daniel Hammington laughed. "Fine by me."

   Henry nodded bemusedly.

   "Are you going away?" asked Francis.

   Felix nodded. "I need a rest. Somewhere tranquil."

   His exhausted tone brought a grin to his brother's face. "With it without company?"

   Felix's wide grin showed fleetingly. "Never you mind, brother dear. Just channel your energies into keeping Emma from engaging in any further crusades to help the needy and I'll be satisfied." His gaze took in the two curricle beside the pavement, the horses fretting impatiently. "In fact, I'll make life easy for you. For all of you. I suggest we repair to Twyford House. I'll engage to remove Miss Fleming. Aunt Amelia and Mrs. Winford rest all afternoon. And the house is a large one. If you can't manage to wrest agreement to your proposals from the Misses Fleming under such circumstances, I wash my hands of you."

   They all agreed readily. Together, they set off immediately, Felix and his brother in his curricle, Lord Daniel And Henry Byron following in Daniel's carriage.