Chapter 7.3 (Part 1)

"Sir Marco, I do declare you're flirting with me!" Desperation lent Maribella's bell-like voice a definite edge. Using her delicate feather fan to great purpose, she flashed her large eyes at the horrendously rich but essentially dim-witted Scottish baronet, managing meanwhile to keep Henry, Lord Byron, in view. Her true prey was standing only feet way, conversing amiably with a plain matron with an even plainer daughter. What was the matter with him? She had tried every trick she knew to bring the great oaf to her tiny feet, yet he persistently drifted away. He would be politely attentive but seemed incapable of settling long enough even to be considered one of her court. She had kept the supper waltz free, declaring it to be taken to all her suitors, convinced he would ask her for that most favoured dance. But now, with supper time fast approaching, she suddenly found herself facing the prospect of having no partner at all. Her eyes flashing, she turned in welcome to Mr. Taggart and Viscount Creswell.

   She readily captivated both gentlemen, skillfully steering clear of any lapse of her own rigidly imposed standard. She was an outrageous flirt, she knew, but a discerning flirt, and she had long made it clear her policy to never hurt anyone with her artless chatter. She enjoyed the occupation but it had never involved her heart. Normally, her suitors happily fell at her feet without the slightest assistance from her. But, now that she had at last found someone she wished to attract, she had, to her horror, found she had less idea of how to draw a man to her side than plainer girls who had had to learn the art.

   To her chagrin, she saw the musicians take their places on the rostrum. There was only one thing to do. She smiled sweetly at the three gentlemen around her. "My dear sirs," she murmured, her voice mysteriously low, "I'm afraid I must leave you. No! Truly. Don't argue." Another playful smile went around. "Until later, Sir Marco, Mr. Taggart, my lord." With a nod and a mysterious smile she loved away, leaving the three gentlemen wondering who the lucky man was.

   Slipping through the crown, Maribella headed for the exit to the ballroom. Doubtless there would be an antechamber somewhere where she could hire. She was not hungry anyway. She timed her exit to coincide with the movement of a group of people across the door, making it unlikely that anyone would see her retreat. Once in the passage, she glance about. The main stairs lay directly in front of her. She glanced to her left in time to see two ladies enter one of the rooms. The last thing she needed was the endless chatter of a withdrawing-room. She turned purposefully to her right. At the end of the dimly lit corridor, a door stood open, light from the flames of a hidden fire flickering on its panels. She hurried down the corridor and, looking in, saw a small study. It was empty. A carafe and glass set in readiness on a small table suggested it was yet another room set aside for the use of guests who found the heat of the ballroom too trying. With a sigh of relief, Maribella entered. After some consideration, she left the door open.

   She went to go table and poured herself a glass of water. As she was replacing the glass, she heard voices approaching. Her eyes scanned the room and lit on the deep window alcove; the curtain across it, if fully drawn, would make it a small room. On the thought, she was through, drawing the heavy curtain tightly shut.

   In silence, her heart beating in her ears, she listened as the voices came nearer and entered the room, going towards the fire. She aired a moment, breathless, but no one came to the curtain. Relaxing, she turned. And almost fell over the large pair of feet belonging to the gentleman stretched at his ease in the armchair behind the curtain.

   "Oh!" Her hand flew to her lips in her effort to smother the sound. "What are you doing here?" she whispered furiously.

   Slowly, the man turned his head towards her. He smiled. "Waiting for you, my dear."