𖧷 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𖧷

"Jakey! There you are, son. I want you to meet someone. This is my son, Sal." Vito Mucci, an old and high-ranking member of the family introduced his one and only biological son to Jake. Jake shook the hand of the 8th- yes, Jake counted- man called Sal he'd met. 

"Sal, this is our new guy, Jakey." Vito smiled, an evil glint in his eye that Jake had noticed in a lot of mafia guy's eyes. He'd been trying to recreate it in the mirror of his bathroom every morning, but never seemed to get it quite right. "He used to be a cop. Tells us loads of dirty secrets."

Indeed, that was what made Jake so appealing to the criminals. It hadn't been hard for him to gain their trust and appreciation and impress them- all he had to do was make up a few stories about being a dirty cop, tell a few lies about the police departement, help out a bit here and there with things he definitely wouldn't have been allowed to get away with if he wasn't undercover, and they were hooked on him. They loved him.

He had expected a bit more of a challenge, but he wasn't complaining. It made his job a lot easier. But he did wish he had something to work for, something to go after, something that wasn't immediately handed to him, something to dedicate his time to so he didn't feel like he was useless when he had nothing to do. A challenge

His loveable personality and charm had made it too easy for him to win everyone over, once again. Damn his own adorableness- people just couldn't get enough.

Then again, if he was being honest, in a sick, disgusting and unexplainable way, Jake loved them back.

He knew he was undercover, but sometimes he let his character take over and it felt so, so real.

These people had taken him in when they thought he was at rock bottom, and they took care of him. Made him feel loved, made him feel like he belonged. 

He'd needed that, after Amy Santiago broke his heart. He'd never felt so weak and pathetic in his entire life. Amy didn't like him back- she never had, and she never would.

And because of that, Jake was almost- only almost- glad to be away from the precinct. It would've been hell to have to face Amy after that rejection.

But then he remembered his friends at the precinct, and he remembered that they were his real family. Charles, his best friend who'd do anything for him, Gina, his childhood best friend with all of her wonderful strangeness, Rosa, his best friend from the academy with whom he had such a great bond, Captain Holt, the man he respected immensely, and even Amy, the smart, beautiful woman he loved.

They were his real family- not the mafia. They were criminals, and Jake could never be in cahoots with criminals- even if it comforted him to know it was possible to have a life somewhere other than at the precinct, in case he was ever fired for real.

Only they didn't always act like criminals.

He thought of the parties, the weddings, the celebrations, the get-togethers, the game nights, the karaoke nights... he had a lot of fun with these criminals.

Vito smiled proudly, wrinkles lining his aged cheeks. He loved his son and he loved Jake like a son- he was so happy that the two could finally meet.

It honestly warmed Jake's heart to see the old man so happy.

Sal was returning from his studies for a week, since it was spring break. He took classes at the CIA. Jake almost had a heart attack when he first heard that- but they meant the Culinary Institute of America, not the Central Intelligence Agency.

God, if that had been the case- the poor man would've been disowned immediately. The mafia couldn't have a real spy in their midst. Unbeknowst to them, though, they already did.

And he was smiling at Sal, shaking his hand as Vito slapped his back. "Jake." He introduced himself. "Jake Peralta."

Sal smiled back. "Sal Mucci. I've heard a lot about you."

"All good things I hope."

"Very good." Sal reassured.

Vito left the two boys to talk alone after a little goodbye. Jake watched him go.

"So. You were a cop, huh?" Sal asked, sounding not disgusted or appalled but genuinely interested, which left Jake a little surprised. Sal shyly crammed his hands into his pockets.

He'd heard lots about Jake. No one had bothered to mention how attractive he was, though.

"Yeah." Jake still rolled his eyes, because he had a part to play. "I can't believe it either. They're all idiots, really. I'm glad to be rid of them."

He had said things like that to many different people as he was introduced to them. Most agreed and dragged cops through the mud alongside him. But Sal didn't say anything rude. In fact he didn't say anything for a second, just looked up at the blank ceiling.

Jake looked up too, curious if there was something to see. He didn't want to miss out. But he didn't see anything.

"I wanted to to be a cop when I was younger." Sal admitted in a quiet voice, not looking at Jake.

Jake's eyes widened and his character fell away momentarily. "Wait, really?"

Sal looked down and shook his head sheepishly. "It was a dumb dream."

Jake wasn't sure what to respond, afraid he'd slip up and give something away. It was easier to pretend to hate cops when the people you talked to hated them too. "It's not dumb." He finally said, keeping his voice flat. "I had that dream too." He let himself admit that much, but he knew he couldn't just say that. So he scoffed, and laughed, trying to get Sal to agree. "Until I actually become one. What a bunch of bullshit."

It was a lie, a huge lie. Jake loved his job. And for a second it seemed like Sal knew it was a lie. If he did, he'd be the first. But he only smiled politely. So far it seemed Jake's only personality trait was hating cops- and hot or not, if that was the case, Sal didn't think they'd get along as anything more than aquaintances who worked together. But he still respected Jake, they were family now. "I'm going to go say hi to everybody." He told Jake. "Haven't seen 'em in a while."

Jake nodded and watched him walk away, his brows furrowed. Somehow he hadn't impressed a member of the family as soon as they'd met. His charm had failed him. 

He thought about his real life. He always tried to impress people by telling them his badass cop stories. They were his go-to. It always worked. Except the one time it didn't, with Captain Holt's husband.

In his mafia life, he'd been shitting on cops to impress people, and it always worked. Except now.

He was going to have to actually try to get Sal Mucci to like him, to trust him.

Jake's face broke into a small smile. Sal #8 was everything he'd been waiting for.

Challenge accepted.