16 | it's nice to have a friend.

Start from the beginning

"No," She smiled at me. "We are fake dating because it serves in the best interests of us both. It's like symbiosis. Now if you'll excuse me, I will take my leave — away from you — because you don't want to move, and I don't want people to get the wrong idea."

"People think we are insanely attracted to each other, and that's why we are dating," I replied, enunciating the word dating. "They already think we like each other, you're just grasping at straws now, Walter."

"Well… maybe not!" Walter sputtered. "For all you know, maybe they think you fear me and have misunderstood your feelings for me."

Adrienne blew out a breath. "Oh boy," She muttered. "She is going to launch in her fear and love evoke the same primal reactions speech. I am going to take my leave. Adios."

"Wait! I will come with you!" Estelle exclaimed before she took off after Adrienne as well. Walter rolled her eyes.

"I was not going to give the speech." 

"Were you, really?" I inquired and she ran a hand down the collar of her blazer before answering.

"...Maybe?"

I laughed. "You're crazy."

"No I am not," She scowled. "You're the one who is crazy. You were the one who proposed this plan in the first place, remember?"

"Just because I am crazy does not mean that you're not crazy."

"You're so stupid," She murmured, rolling her eyes. "Why don't you go back to whatever new book you were reading and go cry over Libby or Nico or whatever."

"I will go back to them!" I said, letting out a huff. This girl was completely and utterly infuriating, and she somehow always got  under my skin, and stomped all over my nerves like she was parading for the Independence Day. "But not before you go running back to your Saint Lauren."

"It's Saint Laurent, you uneducated swine," She piped out in a low voice, her eyes dark and brimming with annoyance. "It's Yves Saint Laurent."

"Why are you so hell bent on giving me such a hard time?" I inquired, exasperated. "Can we not get along in the public eye, even though we are pretending to date?"

She took a step closer to me. "Maybe because you deserve all the hard time I give you, Sinclair," She said. "You should be thankful that I even give you the time of my day, if all."

"You—" I was about to say a sentence which was a string of very unflattering words, but all the words died in my mouth when I saw a group of girls eyeing the both of us suspiciously, walking towards us. I pretended to look away, and then sighed.

"Okay, babe, I am sorry."

Walter was visibly taken aback, her eyes widening and her mouth puckering up in a suspicious and disapproving pout. "Are you feeling fine, Sinclair?"

"Yeah, I always feel better when I am near you," I murmured, and then leaned in, pressing a kiss to her cheek, and rested my lips on her skin for a fleeting moment. Her hair smelled like apples today, and even though I hated apples with a passion, I didn't recoil back. One of the girls passing by, pointed at the two of us, leaned to her boyfriend and whispered something, to which the guy responded with a smile and kissed the top of her head. I pulled back, and flashed her a colossal grin.

Walter had gone still.

"You look like you have seen a ghost," I chirped, smiling at her. Oh how hilarious and strange it was to see this thunderstorm of a girl to be all frozen and speechless.

"Screw you, Sinclair," She sputtered after a hot beat. "If my nails weren't freshly manicured, I would have punched you already."

"Oh, I know you want to screw me," I smiled at her, ignoring her threat. Leaning in, until I could spot the mascara on her lashes, I smiled brightly. I knew people were observing. "Maybe if you ask me nicely, I would say yes to it."