Favourite Tales

How often when we are comfortable, we begin to long for something new! Jacob Grimm

On the southern continent of the world of Atlas is the prosperous Cinder Queendom. While most of the continent is a barren desert a legacy from the rise of the Wicked; the Queendom is an oasis of lush farm lands in the north of the continent.

A humble people who contend themselves with their fields. Ruled by the benevolent Royal family of Cinder; descendants of Elan Cinder the nations holy founder.

In the royal capital Cinder city lies the Royal Palace. Its said that in her life time Elan often said she would have preferred to have a simple villa or a cottage. However, as the seat of government it was required that she have large chambers for holding audiences and parties; also, offices for bureaucrats, barracks for the guards and soldiers.

Despite that Elan insisted on private housing for her family. A small modest villa in a garden at the heart of the palace. Were it's a tradition that the royal family must maintain the house themselves, just as their noble ancestor had.

At dawn everyone in the house and the rest of the country had risen to prepare for the Harvest Festival; when the country gives thanks for a bountiful harvest. But also, to remember their founding Queen.

As for the royal family they also had to prepare for the arrival of a special guest; who arrived a little after noon to be greeted by the Queen, her husband, and their children. An elderly man dressed in a white robe that had been stained with dirt from a long journey. All he had with him was a walking stick and a large book as he walked into the palace.

After dinner Queen Fauna Cinder III, sitting at the head of the table raised her glass "I propose a toast," everyone raised their own glass. "To family and our honored guest, Uncle Marcus. Happy Harvest!"

"Happy Harvest!" everyone cheered including the elderly Marcus.

After everyone took a sip, the Queen had another announcement to make, "Now its time for the reading. Uncle if you would do the honors?"

"But of course," Marcus said in a strong happy voice. "This is the story of Elan Cinder."

Once upon a time, there was a young girl named Elan Cinder. Her mother died when she was a child, but she still had her father who loved her very much.

Together they lived on their family farm; it was not a very large farm but it was enough to feed them both. Everyday Elan woke with her father to work on the farm, without complaint.

One day a woman traveling from the east and her two daughters arrived at the Cinder's farm. Elan's father felt pity for the three so he allowed them to stay with them.

Over the week that fallowed, Elan and her father continued to work the farm while their three guests rested in their home. Slowly Elan's father became infatuated with the woman, and proposed marriage to her.

What he could not know was that the woman was a Wicked- a mortal who made a deal with the dark powers. She carved off part of the skin from her daughter's feet to gain the curse of lies. Anything she said others believed it was true; she used her curse to trick Elan's father into marring her.

She promised to treat Elan as if she was her own, but that was a lie to.

After the marriage, Elan and her father continued to work the farm. But now they had to work extra hard to support the Wicked and her daughters. Eventually the work became to much for Elan's father, he became sick and died.

With her husband dead the Wicked lied that she was now the mistress of the farm and forced Elan to work like a slave in her own home. Years went by and every Harvest Festival the Wicked forced Elan to keep working while she and her daughters went to the festival.