Hypocrite!

Traitor!

Executioner!

The sentences and words assaulted Nina's mind, while she stood unable to do anything. Black surged up the veins in her neck and face at the same time Skye completely lost control, lights in her pod shorting out and glass shattering into pieces.

Fitz took a step back as his eyes widened at the display while Skye panted heavily. The scientist took several more steps back as he made the mistake and looked at Nina. He somehow managed to be more surprised when he saw the black veins in his ex girlfriend's neck and face as well as the pain in her dark blue eyes. 

As much as he felt for her, it didn't stop him from turning on his heel and rushing out of the room at the sight. Fitz was afraid of her, and Nina knew it. Maybe that's why her shadow increasing tenfold and swallowing all light in the pod didn't surprise her nor the pain that came with it.

"Ahhhh!" She screamed as she was submerged in darkness, a burning sensation running throughout her body. She couldn't hear Skye calling out to her in worry, or the creaking of the glass walls as her shadow pressed against them, she could only hear her screams and the voices in her head.

"Please," her voice strained in her personal abyss. She didn't know what she was pleading for or who to, all she knew was she was growing weaker and the black in her veins grew darker with every passing moment.

She could only feel the pain, pain that lasted for a dreadful minute before her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she fell to the floor, unconscious. 

Her shadow disappearing as she hit it.

*

When Nina woke up, she'd expected to still be on the concrete floor of her pod. Which was why, she was very surprised to find herself on the soft mattress in her bunk instead. She'd opened her eyes with a groan, the sound only growing louder when she sat up and felt the ache in her back and pounding in her head.

"Here," a voice called out to her as a glass of water and two circular pills were held in front of her. Nina looked at the items before following their arm, up to their face. Confusion filled her own when she saw Fitz with a nervous smile on his face, "it's aspirin. Skye said you hit your head, I'm sure you're in a lot of pain now."

Nina still continued to stare at the engineer, confused and weary, before accepting the pills and water. She popped them into her mouth and where she could take them dry, she decided to drink the water since she was in company.

Once the pills were gone and the glass was half empty, Nina crossed her legs on the bed and focused back on Fitz, "what happened?"

"You passed out-"

"After that," Nina specified, cutting him off when she sensed him about to skirt over the truth, "the last thing I remember is you running out of the lab terrified. If you saw what I remember you seeing, I should still be quarantined not let out."

"You would be, but I got to your blood results before Simmons," Fitz responded honestly, breaking their awkward eye contact and looking down at her hand around the glass. Her veins were no longer black but Fitz couldn't get the image of them out of his head, she looked terrifying with the black lines claiming her body. 

Deadly and demonic... yet still as beautiful as ever.

"They're different aren't they?" Nina questioned quietly, looking away from him as she did so. She focused on the guns, lined up along her wall, feeling somewhat unworthy to look at him.