Chapter XV

Under Investigation

Thirty days go by and Jason is not recovering from his mistake. Meanwhile, at the police station which is located in the town of Alliance, Detectives Munson and Forde are working on the murder cases that have been occurring in the town as of late. The crow’s feet under both of their eyes are proof of how hard both Forde and Munson have been working on these cases. They have manila folders on top of more manila folders on and around their desks. All of these contain information that they have collected over the past couple of weeks regarding the missing person’s report of Terrence Jackson, his relative’s information along with whereabouts, the murder reports of Edward Black, and Coach Burt Johnson. The detectives have layouts of the house, crime scene photos, little to no evidence, and they have potential suspects. One of the main suspects is the strange janitor who lives in a shack behind the school which Edward had attended. They believe he may have committed the two known murders along with a possible third murder however his name is crossed out because the oddball janitor was deported back to Poland because of legal issues on New Year’s Eve, before the murders even occurred. The duo of young and old are at a loss. They aren’t sure what to do next as the rookie Oliver Munson, who in fact is on his first assignment as a detective after successfully passing his detectives exam with a perfect score and moving into a house in Alliance with his pregnant wife, rolls up his sleeves; hunches over the desk, that has a ton of evidence, as he attempts to try to put the pieces together in his mind while his aging partner Clyde Forde, a detective who has been on the force for over twenty years, who plans on retiring in Mid-July and hopefully pay off his divorce debt to his ex-wife, who no longer lives with Forde (his only roommate is Jack Daniels), takes his dark navy blue coat off and wraps it around his chair as he sits down at his desk; thinking of what to do next in the case.

“Any ideas Munson?” Detective Forde asked.

“Not too sure partner. The school lead didn’t give us much. We couldn’t ask any students questions because of the principal. Our first and main lead was the janitor who was formally convicted for kidnapping and molestation.” Detective Munson states.

“Yeah but that creepy Pollack got deported before the murders even happened. What else do we have? We have no murder weapon, no match on fingerprints or any form of DNA other than the families’ who we ruled out because when the black kid disappeared we were questioning the mother and father of Eddie Black. Coach lives alone. Divorced, daughters in rehab, sons in his second year at UCLA. We have no suspects. We got nothing” Detective Forde says with frustration.

“Maybe we aren’t thinking outside the box Forde.” Munson says with mystique.

“What do you mean?” Forde asks.

“What if who we are looking for isn’t an adult? We took the fingerprints of the mother and father of Eddie Black and they weren’t a match. We were even told that these fingerprints came from a male, but never told of an age.” Munson continues.

“I ain’t gettin’ any younger Munson, spill it.” Forde demands.

“What if we are looking for a student? We never questioned a student and no adult that is close to either victim had any involvement. It has to be a student at Alliance High School. But who?” Wondered Detective Munson.

Just then fellow Detective Jimmy Wong bursts into the detectives’ office. He also looks to be working just as hard as his fellow detectives as he appears to have very little amount of sleep.

“Guys, guys I have some new information on your case.” Wong states as he brings attention to the detectives and tries to catch his breath.

Wong has his hands on his knees as he pants over and over because he ran up the stairs to tell the detectives the news. He can hardly get a word out of his mouth because he attempts to catch his breath.