36.

Aera had never felt her heart beating this fast ever in her life. Not when she went on the stage to dance for the first time. Not when she was told to read a paragraph from the book infront of the whole class. Not when she had successfully got admission in university and certainly not when she received her degree.

Walking along with blank white walls adorned with her paintings, she felt her eyes watering. This was a dream come true. An exhibition where she was the star. An exhibition that would finally spread her name far and wide among art lovers if everything went right. She wouldn't mind dying now, she was already in heaven.

"The smile on your face says you like the way this turned out," Miss Kwon remarked. The woman had been walking silently until now, letting Aera see how the final outcome looked with the lightings and all. It was indeed all amazing and beautiful beyond words.

"I have never been so happy, Miss Kwon," Aera said, taking the woman's hands in her own, squeezing tight. "Thank you so much."

The woman only smiled. "The pleasure is all mine. Now, do go check yourself in the mirror before critiques and media arrives. You want to look your best, right?"

Chuckling, the painter nodded and promptly made her way to the restroom. She had went the extra mile for today, after all it would be her first media appearance ever. She needed to look good and though the choice had been hard, she decided to do something simple but chic.

Mauve coloured skirt, paired with an off-white blouse tucked in, she looked classy. Delicate golden jewelry seemed to brighten the colours she wore and made her look lively instead of sleep deprived, because she sure as hell hadn't been able to sleep the last few day.

Looking in the mirror, she touched up on her blush and her red lips, dabbing below her waterline to get rid of any moisture. She didn't want her mascara running down her face in rivulets by the end of the day. Ruffling her wavy hair, she took a deep breath and told herself, this is your moment, Aera. This is your spotlight, don't mess up.

As soon as she was out of the door, Miss Kwon was there, taking her hold of her arm and brisk walking. "Alright, Aera," she said, their heels click-clacking against the tiles, "it's show time. Don't be afraid, don't get thrown off by their questions, don't let your smile fall and answer their questions just the way we practiced. Any personal questions, shoot them down if you aren't comfortable. Remember, you can do this. No one can intimidate you, it's your night. So, ready or not, we are jumping in this, okay?"

Aera could only nod jerkily, her eyes wide as they walked out and up front. For a moment, she almost felt blinded, the camera shutters going off like an automated gun as they captured her images. She could feel the adrenaline coursing through her body, her heartbeat picking up and her hands shaking but she forgot everything as her gaze went to the centrepiece, her first ever painting of Taehyung. A smile painted her lips as she read the name she had given it. Stranger Lover.

She was so ready to take on the world.

•••

"Now, that was just crazy. I think half the people here fell in love with you," Aera laughed heartily at Miss Kwon's words as both the women washed their hands in the restroom.

The questions had been never ending; they ranged from her inspiration to the kind of style she used. From her favourite artists to her favorite painting of all time. It was indeed crazy and went on to become crazier when the questions became more personal. The one most common question being, who was the Stranger Lover. She had replied cryptically each time and at one point, the interviewers got the hint.

Aera's feet were killing her despite wearing wedges instead of stilettos as Kwon had suggested. She was so grateful for Miss Kwon's help. She didn't know if she had been this calm if she hadn't been beside her. Safe to say, Miss Kwon was now one of her friends.

As if on cue, her phone lit up with a message. It was from Doyun and it instantly brightened her mood even more, her fatigue vanishing thinking about meeting her friends. Telling Miss Kwon about her waiting friends, she left the restroom, hurrying to the front.

She saw Hwayoung first, dressed in a pretty pink dress and went to hug her tightly. "You made it!" Hwayoung giggled at her friend's excitement. "Of course! Wouldn't miss it for anything. You look amazing!"

Pulling away, she thanked her and moved to hug Doyun. "You finally did it," he said soberly in her ear, bringing tears in her eyes. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you, Doyun. I'm happy too. So happy."

"Wouldn't you introduce me, Doyun?" a tight voice interrupted their joyous moment, making Aera realise that a tall and handsome man stood right behind Doyun, staring at them both. Doyun pulled away immediately, a fond smile making its way to his lips as he looked at the man.

"Of course. Aera, meet my boyfriend JaeSu. JaeSu, my high school friend, Aera," Doyun introduced the two strangers.

Aera cautiously put her hand forward, smiling a little as the man continued to stare at her unemotionally. She almost felt her heart drop along with her hand as they awkwardly stood there, staring at each other. One evaluating, one nervous. Did he actually hate her or something?

But her worries soon melted away as JaeSu surprised her by taking her into a hug instead. His laugh was clear and mirthful in her ear. "Oh my god, you should have looked at your face. I totally got you," he said, pulling away and gracing her with a smile. "Its really nice to finally meet you, Aera. Doyun has told me a lot about you."

The leftover tension seemed to melt away with his light words and the four of them were soon engaged in friendly conversation. Aera wanted to give them a tour herself but as another reporter approached her with a camera and notepad in his hand, she was left with no other choice.

By the time she was done answering all questions, Aera decided, interviews were no fun. After a point, all questions became repetitive and so did her answers. And it was utterly exhausting. She now understood what Taehyung meant when he said he was tired after giving ten interviews in a row.

She looked at the painting once again, mysterious eyes peaking through black roses and she wondered if Taehyung could make it today. He was never free, though he spent most of his nights with her and she understood if he couldn't make it tonight but her stupid heart...

She gasped loudly when a pair of arms suddenly hugged her from behind. She was extremely shocked by this action, since she knew it wasn't a woman hugging her. She was going to push his arms away, ready to shout at him, slap him if needed but he spoke before she could do anything.

"I'm not late, am I?" A sigh left her, her body instantly melting into her boyfriend's embrace and she smiled, standing before his painting, watching. "No, you are just on time."

"I'm glad," he said, his arms tightening around her and his chin coming to rest on her head. "This painting looks even more amazing on this wall and the lighting," he noted while she hummed in agreement.

"Stranger Lover," he read in his deep, sexy voice as he let his lips brush against the shell of her ear. "It seems, Miss Lee, these Brush Strokes bind us deeper than you anticipated, don't you think?"

With a surprised noise leaving her mouth unexpectedly, she turned around, meeting only her boyfriend's eyes, the rest of his face covered. And she knew then that he remembered that day just as clearly as she did.

"It does seem so, my Stranger Lover."

~~~~
A/N:

I hate to admit it but I was so busy last week. I had so many assignments to complete, my fingers almost fell off.

Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter.

Thank you for reading 💜💜