05 | Simon Says

[ chapter five ] Simon Says

( 1995... Ohio )

THE UPBEAT MELODY PERFECTLY COMPLEMENTED RUSTLING LEAVES AND BLARING BIKE BELLS AS THE CHILDREN WERE RIDING AROUND THE STREET. Tracks of the bikes tattooed the ashy neighborhood road and erased the eye-catching chalk drawings.

Sooner or later the drawings would no longer be there since Mr. Lee, one of the sweetest neighbors, took care of the road in front of his house like he took care of his yard. Everything was simple but beamed with greenery, therefore a road must be exemplary as well.

Children's playful shouting was drowned out by the frying meat, and its juiciness attracted not only the taste buds but also eyes since the crust was marvelously done.

The meat hissed as soon as the cooking turner turned it over.

"Plates!" I raised my voice slightly, noticing the meat frizzling up as it was excited to be finally served.

"Here, darling," a soft voice spoke. It was my husband, he handed me the plates, giving me a peck on my cheek that flushed right away as a smile formed on my lips. I shrugged my shoulders, biting my lip, appreciating his attention in silence. I took a tiny glance at his defined cheekbones, slicked hair, and icy blue eyes. However, his gaze burned with affection and fondness.

He put hands on my hips, trying to dance or at least bounce to the rhythm of One Way or Another. I hesitated but later joined him because he was so happy and so was I.

Although he was holding me, I tried to serve the meat on one of the plates. I put the rest of them on the counter because I noticed that one side of the meat started to burn. I took the cooking turner and turned it immediately, laughing it off.

I chuckled even more as he walked around the grill, making crazy dance moves with his hands, showing he was indeed the party animal here. I couldn't tear my eyes from him swaying so gracefully to the song that was playing on the radio that was on the patio.