Chapter 12

The aura around her filled with the depths of her despair, it was like the world around Emmeline darkened as she continued her tiresome journey to the palace. A gloomy shadow followed her, taunting her. Laughing at her.

A single tear evaded her brown eyes and every step she took was heavy as if chains were around her ankles, persuading her to go back to her extremely ill mother.

The palace guards checked her over and allowed her to pass through. When Emmeline observed the garden as she did many times before, it was different. She felt different. Many emotions that she could choose from but they all were out of reach as sadness took over her whole entity.

Life can conjure up the most content moment, a moment to remember and then snatch it away bringing you nothing but tragedy and heartache in the next moment. It reminds you that life is not fair.

Emmeline's dreary self-made it to the kitchen but was met with silvery-blue eyes, their sights set on her.

Giving her a smirk, Silas had been waiting for her arrival when he realised that his breakfast was not going to make its appearance.

This was short-lived when noticed dried trails on her face, where uncontrollable tears had once laid.

"I am sorry, your highness. I did not intend to be tardy." She bowed low, only to hide the fresh tears that had found success in descending her porcelain cheeks. "It will nev-"

A sob replaced her sentence and many more sobs followed the first.

"Emmeline please get up. No more bowing. Especially when you are crying."

Shaking her head refusing to get up and she hoped that the tears would magically disappear but they were still present.

"Come with me. I will show you the way to our garden and we can talk there." Silas spoke, unconscious of his words. One hand on her forearm and the other on her waist, he helped her up and they began making their way to the concealed garden.

Birds chirped above her and trees swayed in the direction of the wind, making the leaves rustle against each other. Emmeline stood in the middle of the arches that had vines wrapped around them. Her dark cloak was carried a little by the wind that was becoming stronger. Thanking the wind as it dried her never-ending river of tears.

Silas secured the entrance to the garden so that no one could enter had they found the door accidentally. A hand appeared at the dip of her back, Silas guided her through the arch and through the garden, which had not changed in appearance. Leading her into the cabin as it seemed as if the rain was about to pour harshly at any given moment. A single drop of rain landed on the King's cheek and he glanced up, his eyes met with grey clouds that moved slowly across and over the land.

"Please go inside, it seems as though it is about to rain," Silas recommended as he dusted off his shoes.

Emmeline did as she was told, quickly copying Silas' actions before entering. Nervousness started to overpower the sadness that Emmeline felt.

As soon as she stepped into the cabin, her gaze admired the design of the small but wide interior. The wooden beams holding the house were strategically placed; crossing over one another. The ceiling was high, on which a chandelier was lit and the walls were also wooden but were shining as if a varnish was coated onto them. Emmeline walked down some steps that were supported by bannisters, which led into the heart of the cabin. A black leather sofa was in front of the grand stone fireplace and a bear rug before it. Many paces behind the sofa was a gigantic bed on which had furs of different animals and feather filled pillows and in front of a chaise lounge stood.