• C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n •

Ladybug practically knocked Master Fu's door off its hinges as she burst through. "Master!" she gasped.

Instantly, however, the old guardian scrambled to his feet and held out his arms sideways, like he was protecting the Miracle Box behind him. "Stay back!" he snapped. "You've thrown your lot in with Hawk Moth. We are no longer allies!"

"What?!" Ladybug shook her head, raising her hands in a reassuring gesture. "No, Master, we've realized our mistake! I'm so sorry for everything. But we need your help!"

Master Fu regarded her warily, his deep brown eyes studying her frantic blue ones. "Why?" he asked slowly.

"Hawk Moth used mine and Chat's miraculouses to bring Emilie back, but now Adrien's paying the price! H-He's sick . . . just like Emilie was!" Her voice hitched as she spoke, and she swallowed nervously. What if Master Fu wouldn't agree? Would he think this was a trick?

After an endless silence, he sighed. "I warned you about what happens when someone uses that power," he murmured. "Why didn't you tell Hawk Moth?"

"He did it while I was akumatized," Ladybug mumbled. "I wasn't myself. I didn't think of it."

Master Fu shook his head. "If you're expecting me to be able to heal Adrien with a magic spell like I healed Tikki, I'm afraid you're mistaken. That spell only works on kwamis."

"Isn't there a different spell?" she protested. "Anything! Just, what can we do to heal him?!"

He looked at her for another long moment. "Take me to him. And Hawk Moth," he said at last. "I'll tell you when we get there."

🐞 🐾 🐞

Gabriel watched the little old man suspiciously as Ladybug guided him into the Agreste mansion. "Will he be able to do anything?" he demanded.

Master Fu returned Gabriel's cold stare fearlessly. "I don't know. You shouldn't have toyed with the power of the Ladybug and the Black Cat in the first place."

Gabriel narrowed his eyes coldly, but Ladybug stepped between them. "No quarreling, you two," she snapped. "Master, Adrien's over here." She gestured to her boyfriend, who was still passed out in the chair. Her heart skipped a beat when she realized how much color his complexion had already lost in the short amount of time.

Master Fu moved closer and studied Chat Noir. After a pause he ventured, "He ended up like this because someone else was brought back from the same state?"

"My wife, yes," Gabriel answered, pulling his arm tighter around Emilie, who still looked disturbed and distraught.

The old guardian straightened and faced them head-on. "Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing I personally can do for him," he said quietly. "The only way to restore him to his normal health is to renounce your wish and allow things to return to exactly the way they were before."