Chapter Ten: Merry Christmas

Start from the beginning

I nodded and turned around, but before I could do anything, I saw Paris raise her tiny fist as far back as she can and swung it so it landed right in Andre's temple. A piercing shriek sounded from Andre as he held the side of his face. Paris, looking unapologetic, grabbed the controller from him.

"Paris!" I said, taking the controller from her and lifting up Andre before lacing him on my hip.

For a three year old, she swung like Floyd Mayweather.

Andre rested his head on my shoulder as I continued to sob.

"Paris, go sit in the corner." I said firmly. She did as she was told and sat down in the time-out area. She still looked as if she did nothing wrong.

"Hush." I said, bouncing Andre up and down, attempting to calm him down. I looked on the side of his face and saw that he had a slight red mark from where he got falcon punched.

I adjusted him on my hip and walked over to the fridge and took out a small ice pack and put it on the side of his face. He flinched at first but then settled down. He held it on the side of his face as I walked around the kitchen, looking at the delicious food.

I heard my mother swear under her breath as she looked through the cabinets and cupboards.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I need to make your aunt's favorite dish, but I have nothing to make it. Would you mind running to the supermarket for me?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't mind. What do you need?"

She walked over to the island and pulled a notepad and pen from the drawer as she scribbled down foods and spices. It was a pretty long list. She ripped it off before handing it to me along with a $50 bill.

"Do you want me take Andre and Paris?"

She waved her hand in a dismissive motion. "I don't care. Take one, take both, leave them, it doesn't matter."

I nodded as I folded the bill and shoved it in my jeans pocket. Andre wrapped his hands around my neck as I made it to the front door. I looked back and saw Paris with a look of regret and sorrow etched on her face. Feeling bad for her, I called her over to me.

"Do you want to come with me?" I asked her, already knowing her answer.

She nodded.

"First, say sorry to Andre." I placed him down in front of her where he looked at her in her face, waiting for the apology.

"I'm sowwy, Andwe." Paris said quietly.

Andre walked forward and embraced her in a hug that she returned. They looked so adorable.

"It's okay. But never again."

She nodded. "Kay."

I opened the door and made them hold hands as I held onto Paris, forming a walking chain. I made it to the car and buckled them in before making my way to the driver's side and doing the same. I started the ignition and checked my mirrors before looking behind me and pulling away from the curb. Paris and Andre were under the age of eight years old, meaning that they had to ride in a car seat. But I did not care. They were perfectly safe and I was an excellent driver.

I pulled up to the parking lot of the supermarket and placed the car in park before getting out and taking Paris and Andre out of the car. I locked the doors from the outside before stashing my keys in my pocket and holding onto them as I went inside. I quickly found a shopping cart and placed Paris in the front of the shopping cart while Andre walked.