Chapter 26 - "Get out of my way, Alwyn."

Start from the beginning

"We came to learn what was happening here," Wilder said. "And Lydia is in-"

His father stalled his words with a hand. "Don't tell me. I don't want to betray her if asked."

Wilder paused, confused by the remark, his logical brain having fallen asleep for a moment. But Alwyn knew what the Commander meant. She also knew how this reunion would end. But couldn't tell Wilder, not right then. Before Wilder could speak, Alwyn cut in.

"Is there anything you can tell us about what is taking place in the palace or the city?"

The Commander nodded. "Yes. The guards like to torture me with news as much as they do with their blades."

Alwyn noticed as Wilder paled but he curled his fingers, anger building up inside him. But this was not the time.

"Tell us," Alwyn said.

"They have kept the rouse of Prince Corwin surviving." The Commander cough, the sound ragged. "They've told the people that he is very weak but recovering. The North Isles king, King Titus arrived a week after the attack. He said he'd come to help aid us. He's provided food and guards." He coughed again. "All his actions are said to be done for peace. But his guards have been replaced my soldiers."

Alwyn hated the question she was about to ask but knew it had to be done. "Are all your soldiers dead?"

Closing his eyes tiredly, The Commander shook his head. "No. But they have been locked away in the main prison. The lie for that was they aided the assassins."

The lie was a smart one but keeping the soldiers alive seemed like a foolish move on the King's part.

"Why not kill them?" Alwyn asked.

"Because if they use my father," Wilder said, coldly. "They can make the soldiers swear loyalty to King Titus. With Prince Corwin truly dead, the final loyalty they have is to their Commander."

His father nodded to this. "Already they have made an example of me to keep them in line."

With all the injuries marking his body, Alwyn could imagine how persuasive of an example he would make. It turned her stomach thinking of it. She shared Wilder's anger.

"Can you tell us anything else?" Alwyn asked.

The Commander opened his eyes, focusing on Alwyn as finally realizing she crouched next to him. Despite how beaten he looked, she could still see the spark of life in his eyes. In seeing him, she understood Wilder. This man had raised his son to fight, to survive.

"The servants are still loyal to the crown," he managed to say. "They have kept me and my captains in these cells alive by sneaking us food and water."

Alwyn surveyed the other darkened cells, imagining more huddled men. She admired the courage it would take to slip past guards to bring the food, all the while knowing that if caught the fate must be worse than a cell.

"Thank you," she said. "This is what we needed."

Wilder reached out and took his father's arm, about to wrap it around his shoulder.

"We should leave," he said. "If there is anything more you think of, you can tell us on the ship."

Alwyn froze, her heart seizing. How could she possibly tell him the truth? She couldn't. Not with the hope she'd seen in his eyes. But she didn't have to.

Wilder's father drew his arm back from Wilder's hold.

"You can not take me," he said.

Wilder frowned, confused. "What do you mean? Of course you're coming with us. I'm not leaving you. Not again."