Heart of the Jungle Pt. 4

Beginne am Anfang

She burst through the door and slammed shut, breathing heavily.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Someone spun her around and pinned her against the door, pressing a sword against her neck. Cleo looked up and into the eyes of Helsknight.

"Shh, they're coming..."

"Who's coming???" Hels asked again, though this time quieter. Cleo covered his mouth and pressed an ear against the door. He dug the blade deeper into her throat and she glared at him out of the corner of her eye. He looked startled, maybe even a little intimidated, so he took the sword away. Cleo smirked to herself, then concentrated on listening outside again.

She heard Iskall make his way through the dense foliage of the crimson forest. He paused for a minute near the door, and Cleo gestured to Hels to turn the light off, which he did. She held her breath and counted the seconds.

1...

2...

3...

4...

5...

Finally, Iskall seemed to be satisfied with their sweep of the area and moved on. Cleo waited for another few seconds before turning to Hels and removing her hand from over his mouth.

"What just happened????" He whisper-yelled at her.

"You can talk normally now, they're gone." Cleo switched the light back on and took in the small living area Hels had set up. there was an opening to the kitchen on one side and an opening to the bedroom on another. The place was truly pitiful, with a few pieces of shoddy furniture laying around.

"You can't just barge into my house and not explain what's going on!" Hels exclaimed angrily. Cleo spun on her heel and glared daggers at him.

"You're not even supposed to be here" She growled. "Care to explain what you're doing on my server?"

"I-" Hels started, his expression unreadable. Cleo wondered for a moment if she had gone too far, but he just smirked. "I'm here to destroy the server, but it seems like someone's beating me do it?"

Cleo sighed and sat down on the faded purple couch in the center of the room. "Scar went mining and discovered some sort of evil crystal thing that possessed him, and then he possessed other people. There, now you're pretty much caught up."

"Possessed???" Hels stared at her in shock. Cleo shrugged.

"Not the strangest thing that's happened on the server."

"So where are you heading next?" He asked tentatively. Cleo raised an eyebrow. 

"What's it to you?"

He sighed and leaned against the wall. "If anybody's gonna destroy Hermitcraft, I want it to be me. Besides, if this evil crystal thing takes over you guys, it's probably gonna come for me next."

"Fair enough," Cleo thought about what her next move should be. She really hadn't thought this far ahead. "We should try to find some other people. Only issue is, I have no idea where anyone is..."

"I could find Wels" Hels offered.

"How?" Cleo asked.

"We have some sort of weird bond where we know where the other one is at all times. Or, at least I think it goes both ways. I'm not actually sure..."

"It's as good a place to start as any. How long will it take?" Cleo stood up and made her way to the kitchen and started rummaging around in the fridge. She was starving, and if she went too long without food, the zombie side took over.

"Just a minute or so- hey! What are you doing in my fridge?" Hels moved over to stop her from biting into a chicken leg she had found.

"Staving off the side of me that would be more than happy to eat you." 

"Oh. Go on then." Hels slowly backed away, and Cleo resisted the urge to laugh at the obvious fear he felt. "As I was saying, it should only take about a minute to find him. It would take less time if I was in the overworld with him, but staying here is probably our safest bet for the moment."

"Got it." Cleo said through a mouthful of chicken. Hels stared at her.

"You're... You're not even gonna heat it up or anything?"

"Nah"

"Ok then..." Hels sat down on the couch. "I'm gonna try to find Wels now."

"Have fun."

Hels closed his eyes and concentrated. Cleo felt very awkward just standing around while Hels was doing his magic-twin-voodoo-thing, so she decided to go through his stuff. She stuffed the last of the chicken in her mouth and made her way to the tiny bedroom. She spotted a chest, and opened it up. Inside were a few fire resistance and healing potions, what she assumed was backup gear, and an old photo.

Cleo took the photo out to see that it was a picture of the Knight twins when they were kids. They were both standing in front of a man with black hair and blue eyes in a suit of black and red armor similar to Hels', and a woman with a light brown braid and fiery red eyes also in a suit of armor, this one silver and gold like Wels'. Cleo assumed these were their parents. Hels and Wels were hugging each other, each brandishing a well-loved wooden sword and grinning. Cleo frowned. The two obviously used to get along really well, so what happened?

Cleo heard a noise come from the other room and hurriedly put everything back where she found it before going back to the living room where Hels was. He snapped out of whatever trance he seemed to be in, opening his red eyes to stare into Cleo's own emerald ones.

"Found him."

Have a stellar day,
All you beautiful people
~Jay