Chapter 1: Homesick

This is a sample only. The full book is on Patreon until publication. Link in my bio ❤️

Takes place 7 months after The Swan 1...

Emery's POV:

I walked into the apartment and shut the door by falling back against it. My eyes slid shut and I let out a long sigh, dropping my keys on the small round table by the door. Opening my eyes was a much more difficult endeavor than it should've been. It was actually a really good day, but I was exhausted. Being on tour was grueling, especially when a tour that was supposed to be three months extended to six months, and now to nine months. It was a good problem to have, I was in a whirlwind of activity, getting new concerts booked so much it felt like every day. A good problem, but it came with long hours of rehearsals and practices with little breaks between.

I pushed off the door and kicked back my right foot, catching it with my hand and taking off the heel. I gave myself a few seconds to massage into my sore foot before I switched sides, removing my other heel and depositing them by the door as I made my way towards the kitchen.

Leftovers were my friend. I didn't want to cook and I didn't feel like eating out again. Besides, as much as I adored the food here in France, part of me was homesick and so I made myself chili dogs the other night that turned out pretty damn well.

I pulled the leftovers out of the fridge and stuck some on a plate before sliding it into the microwave. Wine and chili dogs was about the most American thing I could be doing right now and while part of me was embarrassed by that, I was too tired to care too much.

I opened a new bottle and poured myself a glass while the food was heating up. I leaned over the counter and brought the glass to my lips, letting my eyes shut for just a few more seconds while I savored the taste of the French wine I was getting way too used to. I'd be going back home soon, I wouldn't have easy access to it. Though at this point, I could afford to import it if I really wanted to.

Could I import the macarons, too?

I opened my eyes and smiled at the vase of roses on the counter. Reaching out, I picked up the note that came along with it and reread it for the third time since they arrived.

Congratulations on selling out another historic venue and generating another glowing review, my beautiful musician. I'm so proud of you and everything you've accomplished. I can't wait to see you and celebrate with you.
-M

I smiled down at the note until the microwave dinged. I set the card and my glass down before turning to the microwave and pulling the plate out, testing the temperature before sticking it back in for a few more seconds. My phone vibrated and reminded me I had a ton of texts and emails to respond to. I reached in my pocket and pulled it out, opening the text from Gwen first.

Gwen: Don't forget our scheduled video call tomorrow. Love and miss you! XO

I smiled and started typing in a response, sending it off before the microwave dinged again. I grabbed the plate and a fork, then my wine glass, and took it out to the balcony where I ate most my meals.

When I arrived in Europe for this tour, I decided very quickly that living in hotels wasn't for me. I wanted a place to call home while I was here, even if I couldn't always stay in it. It might've been wiser to choose a more central city but Paris caught my heart too easily and I couldn't imagine renting a place anywhere else.

I could see the Eiffel Tower from my balcony and I checked the time on my phone, smiling when I saw it was ten minutes to eight. Every night, until one in the morning, the tower would light up for five minutes every hour on the hour. I was always happy when my meals fell along the same timeline so I could be outside to watch it happen. It was a beautiful structure that I really should know more about since I'd been living here for a few months now. I should look it up. I started pulling out my phone and stopped, my heart skipping a beat as the thought of architecture would probably never not have an association with one person.