Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

My father, sometimes makes me wonder how he became king of the warriors.  He is  a total pacifist, not matter what he looks like.  It has been about two days since that conversation.  Today is Sunday, the day of the party.  I wouldn't really call it a party since it is going to be more of a dinner with the enemies.  And add to that, Shang would most likely be there with his family, ignoring me like he never knew who I was. 

            Larry is coming with us, though Lisa is staying behind.  I have been practicing fighting, just so my skills aren't rusty.  Larry and I have been practicing like crazy.  It turns out he broke up with Dale, because Dale's dad doesn't know he's gay, and being with Larry would tip him off greatly.  I know Larry's hurting, but he doesn't want to talk about it, just like I don't want to talk about Shang.  I understand my best friend like I understand myself.  I love him with all of my heart. 

            "I have to look absolutely and positively fabulous," Larry says, as I sort through my clothes.  I had bought some dresses from Chanel, and was trying to decide which one to wear.  "You always look fabulous," I mumble, torn between two dresses.  "I do, don't I?" he asks, looking at his shirtless self in the mirror.  I roll my eyes at his conceitedness.  "Then why is he ashamed of me?" he asks quietly, still staring at himself in the mirror.  I turn to look at Larry, and I can see the pain he has been hiding so well.  "His father would kill him, then you if he found out he had a gay relationship," I state, pulling him into a hug.  He is still, as we hold each other.  "He did this to keep you safe," I mumble, stroking his back.  He nods, and I can feel some of his tears fall onto my shoulder.  "I love you," I whisper, and he mumbles it back into my hair, holding me tightly.

            I finally decide on wearing a dress that had a 50's style of shape that was tight at the waist, but billowed out into a Cinderella skirt.  It had lace flowers in a pearl color, and a light pink silk slip underneath.  I put on a choker pearl necklace that had multiple strands of the jewel.  I put on some tights underneath, though you couldn't see them, along with black felt high heels that had bows at the tip of the shoes.  I braided the top half of my hair into two braids joining them in the back of my head, and left the rest to curl around my shoulders.  My hair reached all the way down to my waist, that's how long it was. 

            I met Larry in the foyer, leading out of my room.  He left no traces of his breakdown on his face, looking exactly like he always does, like the world was his play ground.  He looked handsome in his classic black and white suit, with a little bow instead of tie.  I raise my eyebrow at his slick blond curls and his shaved face.  "You look hot," I taking the arm he held out for me.  "I need to look as good as my partner," he says winking at me.  His blue eyes twinkled, and I knew he wanted to go tonight, if just to see Dale.  "You don't want to forget these," he says, holding out my pearl colored gloves that went all the way up to my elbows.  "Oh, thanks!" I say, putting them on.  My purse was on the couch, it was black and sparkly, with a small chain as the handle.  "Like your lipstick," he says, looking at my red mouth.  Wearing red lipstick always gives me courage to do something impossible. 

            The limo parks in front of Shang's home.  My heart is beating fast, but I ignore it.  "This will be SO much fun,"  Larry exclaims, clapping his hands.  I can't help but laugh at him.  He laughs too, and my dad just looks at us like we are crazy. 

            Larry helps me out of the car, and there are paparazzi taking pictures of us.  I blink out the bright lights, taking Larry's arm to keep from stumbling.  "I feel like we're movie stars," he says, whispering in my ear.  I giggle at his stupidness. 

            Once we are inside the house, I am astounded by the grandness of the house.  My father is somewhat modest for a billionaire so our house isn't super grand, but this house is huge!  It kind of showed me what kind of man Shang's father is.