Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

The morning leading to my very first day of school is a dreary one.  The rain clouds are out and about, not letting anyone stay dry.  "Good omen," I grumble, rolling my eyes.  "You really should stop being such a pessimist.  You'll get wrinkles," Larry says, yawning, walking out of my bathroom.  "Why do you insist on staying over here, if you think I'm such a drag to be around," I snap.  "Because I like to think of myself as a man who can make a change in the world.  Particularly making a change in your snappishness," he says, tossing me a bra from the closet that he was going through.  "Whatever," I mumble, putting on the bra.  I'm not really conscious of hiding my body from Larry because he's gay, and more of a sister to me than Lisa is. 

                "Just so you know, you aren't the only one being forced to go to school.  My father told me that if I didn't go with you, I would most likely be sleeping on the streets, so don't worry about being lonely," he says kissing me on the cheek with a nonchalant style about him, as if he hadn't just told me his father threatened to kick him out of his house.  "I guess that's good," I murmur, looking through my piles of clothes, trying to find something semi presentable to wear out in public. 

                I decided to dress down on the first day, and wear some white slacks with a pink sweater that had a white collar.  I got one of my Michael Kors bags, a big white satchel, and put a gold belt around my waist so I didn't look so lumpy.  My shoes were high heeled of course, being white sling backed wedges.  The whole outfit looked much laid back and none threatening, so I wouldn't scare anyone today with my sharp looks. 

                "That is exactly what I was expecting her to wear," I growl, as I watch my sister descend the stairs.  I was sitting across from Larry, sipping coffee from one of our many teacups that my mother indulged in before she died.  "Hmm...predictable," Larry murmurs, taking in her slutty gothic looking clothes.   She had on torn fishnet stockings, with a black skin tight leather mini.  Her top was tight black and ripped up, in an off the shoulder style.  Her long blond hair was messy; it looked like a rat's nest.  Her lips were bright red, and her eyes were lined with black eyeliner and loads of mascara.  To say we were nothing alike was a serious understatement. 

                We stared at each other, with loathing filled in our gazes.  "Down girls," Larry says, chuckling.  "Sometimes I wonder why you are her friend," Lisa says, none too kindly, to Larry.  "That's for me to know and you never to find out," he replies cheerfully and slings his arm around my shoulders.   I sigh and grab the keys to my Jaguar. 

                I didn't want Lisa to get in the car, because I was scared she would contaminate it with her bad attitude, but I didn't have a choice, which was total poop. 

                "Listen, I don't want people to know that we're sisters, so stay as far away from me as possible, kay?" she says, getting out of the car.  "Fine with me," I say, not wanting to stoop down to her level of immaturity.  "Such a nice loving family," Larry says, smiling happily, as if it amuses him. 

                "It seems we have no classes together, love," he pronounces in an English accent.  "Sometimes I wonder how you ever became my friend," I say, staring at my schedule.  I didn't understand why I was taking such easy classes, but then maybe that would be better, so I could focus on the reason why I was actually there.

                The bell rang, and I kept my fear masked underneath my neat makeup.  "I shall see you, dear Jane, at lunch," Larry says, bowing at the waist.  "Yes, my dear servant," I reply, with a teasing smile on my face.  "Always and forever," he chuckles, then leisurely strolls off towards the hallway of his homeroom.

                I guess that it wouldn't be smart to be late to my first period class, on my very first day of school, but I couldn't help the feeling in my stomach, leading me to the restrooms.  To say I felt nauseous was too little of what I really felt.  My insides felt like they were ripping up.  Truthfully, I have a serious shyness problem, but I usually ignore my true instincts of wanting to hide, and push through into being a girl who gets what she wants when she wants it. 

                Looking at myself in the mirror, I wonder......what my life would be like if I didn't have to grow up, be a mature adult at the age of eleven, and take care of my seven year old sister.  I gave up my life for her, because my mother so selfishly hung herself, and now she can't even stand my guts.  I wonder if I was in her shoes, would I treat my older sister like a monster.

                It turns out I wasn't late to first period.  I actually arrived right on the dot.  The class had already been seated and it was silent as I walked in.  The class was AP Chemistry, one of my favorite subjects, and the kids there looked pityingly on at me.  I knew the reason for their looks, was because the teacher looked none the nicer than I hoped. 

                "It seems as if you don't have a seat Ms. Coates," the large female teacher named Mrs. Robinson says. "It does in fact seem that way," I reply, swallowing my fear, and hiding it behind a look of arrogance.  She narrows her eyes at me, understanding my tone, which is saying, "No I do not think you are my superior."  "Well then, you may just have to stand until another desk arrives," she coldly states. "I then suggest you call the office and request another desk because I will not stand for an hour and a half," I pronounce, liking the way my voice doesn't waver, even though I know if I put my guard down, it would.  She glares at me, clearly not liking that I put her in her place in front of the class.  Silently she stalks to her phone, and asks for a desk.  Ten minutes of silence later, a desk arrives, and class goes on.