Holding back

Pairing: Flippy x Splendid, Fliqpy x Splendid
Scene: sometime in "The Soldier's Superhero" after dating and before the breakup in chapter 21 (ish)

-----------

Flippy and Splendid had fallen into a sort of routine since they started dating. Something comfortable and safe.

Something that not even Fliqpy could protest against.

Daily affection.

Splendid showered Flippy in it. Kisses on his cheeks and forehead, hand holding, cuddling in sitting areas, just being together and enjoying each other's company, anything was done with care and love. Flippy basked in it, but Fliqpy... Fliqpy could not understand it.

He'd never been loved or treated like someone precious.

Ugh. Barf.

Flippy was sitting with Splendid in the living room, watching a some t.v. and cuddling... again. He could feel everything Splendid did to their body. The touches burned his very being. They didn't hurt, but, at the same time, they shook his very core. From their shared mind, he could see Flippy stealing glances at Splendid throughout the show, love struck and happy. These emotions confused him.

Can you fucking move away from him already! I can't fucking stand it anymore! My skin is crawling!

Get off my back, Fliqpy. I'm savoring every moment of this.

Fliqpy growled within their mind. Honestly, he could take control at any time, but recently, he had been hesitating more and more. He didn't understand why though.

He could tell the difference between his feelings and that of Flippy. His black heart wasn't used to the warmth he started feeling whenever Splendid was around. Even when he –very rarely– came out, Splendid absolutely refused to hurt him. He got frustrated because it was so easy for him to hesitate and give up when Splendid simply spoke to him. He liked the way Splendid started talking to him.

"Let's just talk about this. We shouldn't fight."

The odd tightness in his heart was unbearable. And Flippy didn't make it any better with his own overflowing emotions.

That's it. I'm going apeshit.

Wait. What–?

Before Flippy could warn Splendid, Fliqpy forcibly took control back over his own body. He only let Flippy have most of the control because he was mentally exhausted from his time with General Tiger, he didn't have the mental or emotional capacity to deal with people, which is why he was asleep for so long until things started to remind him about war and trigger his conditioning to kill.

Fliqpy blinked, taking a moment to adjust to his surroundings before he looked down at Splendid, who was still facing the t.v. Fliqpy grinned at this and carefully reached into the couch cushion where he hid his knives. He actually had weapons stashed all over the house that the twins never bothered to look for because they thought they had taken all of his toys when they first moved in.

Idiots. That's how you get killed. You never let your guard down.

He wanted to scare Splendid. He grabbed his favorite bowie knife and pulled it out from the cracks in the cushion. He leaned back, pretending to relax as he aimed the knife for his head. The thought of piercing the blue squirrel's cranial cavity was almost too enticing to ignore.

However, just as he raised his arm to deliver a quick and brutal death, he stopped.

Splendid was snoring.

He was asleep.

How dense can someone be? You don't fall asleep near someone who thirsts for your blood!

Fliqpy's arm faltered a bit as he sat there confused. Splendid didn't seem at all wary around him anymore. It was ridiculous to him that Splendid wasn't scared of him anymore, especially after all the shit he's pulled. He hoped Splendid would come to his senses when he realized Flippy wasn't in control and leave them alone, but he was still stubbornly clinging onto them.

You're so fucking stupid.

He braced his arm again, ready to swing his arm down, but still couldn't bring himself to stab him. He sat there with his arm raised for a few moments, listening to Splendid snore softly in his lap.

....

He lowered his arm and hid the knife back in the couch and stared down at Splendid. His other hand twitched, the one Flippy was using to play with his hair. He glanced to the side for a moment before carefully running his hand through Splendid's hair.

It's... soft...

He had pulled Splendid's hair quite a few times when he was fighting him. But he never noticed how soft it actually was, how it just glided through his fingers with ease.

Fliqpy gulped a bit as he pulled his hand away, at the same time, pushing the hairs by the side of Splendid's face back. He froze when he noticed a scar peaking slightly out of the corner where his eye was. Truthfully, he rarely saw Splendid without his mask, so this was a first for him. He tilted his head as he began to push the hair, following the line of the scar through his hair. It stopped just before it reached the back of his hair.

Where did you get this from?

He flinched, his hand reeling back when Splendid shifted, making a weird noise as he sat up a bit. Fliqpy watched him adjust himself before falling back into his lap, still asleep, but now with a goofy little smile on his face.

Fliqpy stared at him for a really long time before he let Flippy have control again. He made it seem like the bear simply fell asleep like his superhero.

He stayed silent for a whole week, watching Splendid from Flippy's green eyes.