Chapter 1

8 months later

Valerie's white converse were covered in dried blood by the time she walked back to the trailer. It was slightly rocking back and forth, barely noticeable that it would've been excused by the wind to an untrained eye, but Valerie can sense that something was different. Slowly, she neared the door and quietly unsheathed her knife.

"Was that your owner's?"

She heard a male's voice, urging her to quickly open the door and spot the person inside. He jumped from the seat, startled by her abrupt entrance. Valerie immediately brought her knees to his side and roughly held his hands back. Caught off guard, he was pinned down on the bed by the girl.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" exclaimed Valerie as she forcefully thrust the blade near his throat, freezing him in place. "I'm Joel! I'm Joel! and I swear I was on my way out!" he whimpered.

For a few seconds Valerie examined Joel's face, looking for signs of deception amidst his striking light brown eyes that seemed like it held stories waiting to be told. She scanned through his disheveled hair, then to his forehead that was veiled in thin sweat, lowering her gaze to his quivering pink lips. All of a sudden, she became aware of the proximity as her senses were filled by his citrusy scent.

Her face hardened. "Can't you see the sign painted outside?" she continued.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, okay! But your dog helped me and I figured I would follow him. You can just let me go and you'll never cross paths with me again." Joel pleaded.

Joel felt his hands gradually being freed from her hold. However, it was short-lived as Valerie decided to tie him up the side of the chair of the trailer instead. Grabbing her knife again, she spoke "Let's try this again, shall we? What are you doing out here?"

Joel continued to stare at her as she tucked her black hair that fell out of her ponytail. He remained silent. Valerie took it upon herself to coax an answer from Joel "Were you kicked out of your colony? Did you steal food?" at those last words her eyes narrowed.

"No, to both of those questions." he finally responded.

"What's your name?"

"I don't think you're in any position to ask me anything. As you can see you are tied up, so you answer me" her lips tightened.

"Were you by any chance from Fairfield?" he persisted.

By that, her shoulders squared. Sensing her defensive stance, the dog came by her feet baring his teeth at him. A flicker of recognition flashed in her dark brown eyes. "No way. You're that Dawson kid!" breaking what seemed like an eternity of silence between the two.

Lowering her knife, her expression softened considerably, enough for Joel to let out a relieved sigh. Chuckling quietly to himself "Who would've known we'd meet again, flower?"

Valerie sat opposite of Joel whose hands were still hanging from the rope connected to the chair. Her eyebrows pulled together and her nose flared faintly. "Shut up Dawson, we both know it's Flores. Valerie Flores."

Humming to himself he waved her off. "Whatever you say Vi"

"It's Valerie. You never answered my question, Joel. What are you doing out here?" she repeated as the dog settled beside her. The dog nudged his head to her thigh, asking to be petted.

His eyes flickered between Valerie and the dog, silently asking for an introduction. "This is Boy."

"Nice to finally know the name of my hero, hello Boy". Boy's head raised as he stared at Joel then lowered again, turning to expose his stomach and Valerie gingerly rubbed it. "Stop avoiding the question Joel."