1- Awake

And then, she woke up. But not in the five-bedroom house with four kids and a wonderful husband like she expected. She woke up in the hospital, surrounded by her mother and sisters. Sitting up, she stretched a bit feeling the tingling in her legs that could have been caused from sitting still for too long. Maddie looked around, confused. Why was she here? Where was Dalton? Why is this happening to her? What is happening to her? There were a million thoughts running through her head. Maddie continued to stretch, accidentally waking her little sister. Brynn smiled sleepily when she opened her eyes to see Maddie awake.

"Hi, Maddie. Nice to see you awake." Brynn whispered, shaking her mom, Sarah, and Genevieve awake. Maddie focused her attention on her hands, which was adorned with long, black nails, and she hadn't had them since she was nineteen.

"Hi." She rasped, testing her voice. It was thick with sleep, but it would do.

"Hi, Maddie. How are you feeling?" Genevieve asked, grabbing her left hand.

"Fine. Why am I here? Where's Dalton?" She asked, as her mother put her hand on her shoulder.

"Oh, Honey. We buried Dalton last week. We found you at his grave this morning in the rain. Your legs were blue, you'd been there all night." Her mother comforted, rubbing her arm.

"He's not dead." Maddie shouted suddenly. The heaviness was pressing on her chest, causing nearly extreme amounts of pain to erupt in her heart and in her mind, and inflaming the rest of her body with numbness. So this is what a broken heart feels like. "He was getting help, he didn't die, I saved him!"

"Mad-" Genevieve tried to reason with her.

"NO!" She yelled, shoving her family away from her. "HE ISNT DEAD!"

"Maddie, he-" Her mother tried, only to be shoved away again as Maddie pushed her knee up to her chest and gripped at her hair.

"He. Is. Not. Dead. He's not dead! HE'S NOT DEAD! HE ISN'T DEAD!!!" She screamed, her voice reaching a higher decibel. Just then, Brynn made the decision to press the help button that calls the doctor and the nurses. Sarah, Genevieve and Brynn were whisked out of the room and left to watch from the window of the hall, looks of horror plastered on their faces.

Maddie was fighting them, kicking her legs and swinging her arms. She was throwing punches, doing anything she could to fight the nurses off. One by one, each nurse had pinned one of her swinging limbs to the table, strapping it in place so she couldn't move much. The doctor was filling a syringe with a liquid that was no doubt a sedative to would put her asleep. Maddie was still fighting against the restraints, even more so when she saw the syringe in the doctors hands. Brynn had to hide her face as the nurses pinned her head down so they could stick the needle in her arm without her thrashing still. The other two watched, as Maddie's movements began to slow. She let out a sigh as she fell asleep, a drug-induced blank mind overcoming her, letting her go back to her dream world in peace. Genevieve finally cracked, tears running down her face as Sarah and Brynn pulled her into a hug. They stood like that for awhile, until the doctors came out of Maddie's hospital room.

"She is in a severely depressed state, do you have any clue what has gotten her this way?" The doctor asked, a questionable tone placed in his voice.

"She.. She lost her boyfriend just a week ago, due to a suicide. She'd been with his friends for the first few days, fulfilling his wishes. When they left she had been sleeping a lot. I couldn't figure out why, but I figured she needed it, so I let her sleep. Then, I found her out in the cemetary after I had already went to her apartment and hadn't found her. From what I can assume, she's been dreaming of him." Sarah said, her motherly tone echoing in her soft voice.

"That would cause it. Currently, she is sedated. I would suggest to keep an eye on her, don't let her be alone. She can go home tomorrow morning. I am going to prescribe a sedative for when things get bad and an anti-depressant for her to take daily." The doctor said, shaking Sarah's hand. "Best of luck, Mrs. Parker."

"Thank you." Sarah whispered, a long sigh following as he walked away.

"What are we going to do, Mom?" Brynn asked, sniffling.

"Honestly, I don't know. Take it one day at a time. We also need to call Cole and them and ask them how she was when they left her apartment. This isn't my Maddie; our strong, pretend-everything-is-okay Maddie. This is her heart speaking, she's not okay. She's hurting so badly." Sarah said, her eyes locking on her middle daughter, asleep in the completely white hospital room.

"I can call them." Genevieve said, getting Maddie's phone out. She walked down to the lobby of the hospital, out the front doors, and then sat down in front of the building against the wall. Her first call was to Cole.

"Hello?" His voice rung out, sounding exhausted. "Maddie? Why are you calling me?"

"It's not Maddie, it's Genevieve. Maddie is in the hospital. I was wondering what she was like when you left her apartment." She said, hoping he'd say he was the last to leave.

"Actually, she kind of kicked us out. Just decided she was done. There was something off about her, but I figured it was just that her boyfriend had died, and she was grieving. Why is she in the hospital? Should we be worried?" He asked, suddenly wide awake.

"Our mom found her out by Dalton's grave this morning after going to check on her at her apartment and she wasn't there. Her legs were blue, and it was raining so we took her to the hospital. She never woke up until she was in the room for an hour. She asked what happened, and when we told her, she swore that he wasn't dead. That he was getting better. The doctor had to sedate her to get her to calm down." Genevieve spoke shakily.

"Oh wow. That's just.. Wow." Cole was nearly speechless. He knew Maddie as the strong and carefree girl whom Dalton wanted to marry someday. Even a bad friend, the jackass  he was in that 'friendship', could tell that. "She was just a little off a couple days ago. That doesn't sound like her at all, she was the one comforting us when we were reading those letters."

"That, that sounds like her." Gen sighed, looking at the sky. "She just.. She went off the deep end and we don't know what to do anymore. My mom told me to call you to see if she was anything like this when you guys were over there."

"Like I said, she wasn't nearly as bad as you are describing right now. I kind of knew she was going to fall apart when we left, she hid her emotions. She did that like Dalton did."

"I've got to go check on her, the don't allow phone calls in the hospital rooms. Thanks, Cole. Talk to you later." She said, not even waiting for him to say goodbye, and hanging up. Genevieve stood up, dusting herself off and then heading back to Maddie's room.

"Cole said she wasn't anywhere near this bad when they left a couple days ago." Gen told her mom, who was still fixated on Maddie.

"She's got broken-heart syndrome. The doctor came back and told me. he said it should go away in the next week or so. But it's possible it could kill her if the strings that hold the ventricles together snap." Sarah whispered. A dropping feeling hit Genevieve's chest. Gen's first thought was directed to Dalton. 'Why did you do this, Dalton? Is it worth her dying of a broken heart?