Chapter 37: The Realisation

Flynn turned around in the bed, pulling the loose sheet further up to cover more of him. And then he immediately kicked them off again, unable to maintain his body at the right temperature.

He turned again, hoping it would change something, but to no avail. His body had decided he needed to get up now.

So, he finally opened his eyes, breaking the most peaceful sleep he'd had in years. He'd gone the entire night without the nightmares that usually woke him up, cutting his sleep short. And the last time that happened was months ago when he stayed in Tabitha's inn with Audelia.

Audelia. He thought to himself, remembering what had happened with a smile. It had been an eventful night. He didn't want to think about what it meant just yet. That was a discussion for later.

Flynn rolled back over, ready to lay eyes upon Audelia's resting face. When he found no one there.

He pressed his hand lightly against the space and felt no warmth. She'd been missing for a while.

"Audelia?" He called, hoping maybe she was s still around here.

Flynn raced out of bed and threw his clothes on when he heard nothing back.

"Audelia?" He yelled into the hallway.

His mind instantly went to the worst scenarios. Maybe Lily wasn't actually, and she came into the bedroom, dragged Audelia out and killed her. All while Flynn was fast asleep.

Flynn felt his pace pick up until he started sprinting down the hall, ducking his head into every room. He hoped with all his might that he wouldn't open a door and lay witness to Audelia's dead body. That image would never leave his brain.

He started kicking the doors open, growing increasingly frustrated. Then finally, he kicked a door that swung open widely into what was possibly a kitchen.

He stared into the dark room and saw a body slumped against a wall. He rushed towards it, repeating one phrase.

"Please don't be Audelia."

He knelt down next to the corpse and placed a careful finger under its chin to reveal the face.

"Please don't be Audelia."

As he looked upon the body's face, Lily's closed eyes looked back.

He didn't know how to react. It was odd seeing her dead. She had been in so many parts of his life; he once thought that Lily was his future. But here she was, without any future.

He was relieved that it wasn't Audelia, but he wouldn't describe himself as happy to see it was Lily.

He gently dropped her head back down and remained still for a moment, thinking of the final words he wanted to say to her.

Yet nothing came to mind. He had nothing left to say. So, he left without giving it a second thought, shoving Lily back into the deep parts of his mind, alongside his memories of Max.

Audelia hadn't been killed by Lily, he now knew that, but that still didn't answer the question of where she was.

He hoped Tabitha would know.

~

He pushed open the door to her inn, noting the many people sat on tables around him, eating their food.

He couldn't tell what time it was, but it was most definitely past breakfast time.

Flynn walked through the inn, ignoring the looks on the people's faces as they saw his beaten-up face.