The Shit My Parents Say

"Little B! What the heck do your parents say?" Flo asks again. I hand Charlie over to her mother before grabbing Flo's hand dragging her up the stairs to our room.

"I swear to you it's nothing bad."

"Nothing bad? Are bloody kidding? You have reason to believe that your parents would be upset at the fact that you are going to marry me." She tries to keep her voice calm but I can tell she's getting mad quickly.

"Flo." "No. Why didn't you tell me? Your parents don't like me. We've been together for over 7 years and you have never told me that your parents don't like me."

"Let me finish." "No you don't get to finish! Bailey I have been to your parents house over 30 times. And that entire time they don't like me. I thought I was the actress. But turns out your parents are the best actors in the bloody world!"

"Florence will you listen to me?" Her eyes finally snap to me when I use her full name. "My parents, they don't like the fact that I transferred to stay in England when we first started dating."

"They've disliked me since the beginning? How does that make it better Bailey?"

Well she's not going to be any less mad right now. She hasn't called me Bailey in like years. Well unless she's... yeah that none of your business.

"Flo they don't hate you. They actually love you. They just don't love that I stayed in England. They think that I stayed in England for you." "You didn't. You were planning on staying before we even started dating." "Yes, but they don't believe that, Flo." I pull her towards me wrapping my arms around her waist gagging that she started to become less mad.

"So they dislike me because they believe that I made you stay in England? How does that make anything better Little B?" She asks slightly calmer then she was before.

"Do you remember my cousin Sam?" I ask looking at her as she turns in my arms to face me.

"You mean the gay cousin on your dads side of the family?" She teases looking at me with a smirk. "Yes him." I shake my head.

"When he first started dating his first boyfriend he was in college to be a nurse. That said boyfriend convinced Sam to drop out of college and move with him. Essentially 'ruining' his life. So, when I started dating you and I decided to transfer to stay in England my parents thought that's what was happening here. Sam's ex wasn't in college, neither were you. Sam dropped out to follow his boyfriend, I transferred to stay with my girlfriend. My parents saw similarities between the situations and made assumptions. Ones that aren't true. All they see is that I changed my life to be with you." I look at her with a small frown. "You didn't change your life for me." She places her hands on my cheeks.

"I know that, you know that. But they just see what has happened. No matter what I tell them." I whisper.

"You had once in a lifetime opportunity's while in England. Ones you wouldn't have had here. You said that yourself. You became the top scorer in the English league. Because we don't have divisions as you do in colleges. The NWSL only looks at D1 schools and you were at a D2. You wouldn't have gotten to the place you are now without going to England. Do your parents not understand that?" Flo pulls away to start pacing around the room.

"They honestly think that I ruined your life? But the fact that you have an amazing life, the one you had childhood dreams of, that's ruining your life?!"

"Flo.."

"And you changing your life for me is completely absurd. I tried to break up with you to make you go home to the States because I didn't want you to choose something that could end suddenly, over going home!"