2. The Tumble

"State your business."

He spoke as though he was reciting some protocol. This was a line he'd been instructed to deliver to strangers. Which led me to the conclusion that he had others- whether he was with them right now or not- who were looking out for him. I was glad for his sake to realize he wasn't alone. I mean, he was pretty young.

"Just passing through. I've been traveling west for some time now, and I plan on continuing that way."

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere in particular. Just trying to find a place to stay. But I promise you I don't plan to encroach on your area here. I'm not here to invade. I'll go as far away as you need."

Silence. The kid was trying to figure me out. Hopefully he decides he can trust me at least enough to let me go in peace.

"What's your name?"

We're in.

"April. And you?" I decided I could start asking questions now without him getting too defensive. But I had to go slow.

"...Tommy."

"Tommy. Nice to meet you, Tommy."

He nodded slowly, and I could sense him relax a bit.

He took a deep breath and looked around, almost as if he was waiting for something. "Look, you seem nice and all, but I gotta send you on your way. I don't think we can risk having anyone else around right now. I don't know if you've noticed, but not many people live around here."

"I have," I replied, my curiosity peaking.

"Yeah, and there's a reason for that. The mountain's full of cave systems. Crawling with zombies. Don't wanna draw too much attention to us with another persons sticking around, ya know? And you'd probably prefer to get some distance, for your own sake Cause, y'know, the zombies here."

Okay, so that's why this place is vacant. I realized it was a good thing I ran into this kid- I might've unknowingly tried to camp in a cave and gotten eaten in my fucking sleep.

"Alright then. I'll be on my way then," I said, nodding towards my stuff to ask permission to retrieve it. He nodded, his expression looking much friendlier, and I threw my stuff back on. "I wish you the best, Tommy."

"You too, Apr-"

He was cut off by the sound of yelling in the distance. We both looked in the direction it came from- further up the mountain. Tommy looked full of dread, and he was readying his pistol, walking towards the noise.

As it got closer, the voice became clearer.

"TOMMY!!!"

It was another boy. The voice wasn't quite as deep as Tommy's but it sounded somehow older. I could hear speeding footsteps approaching.

"Tubbo?" Tommy called out.

"Tommy!" Tubbo hollered back. And then, I shit you not, this kid came jumping down from on top of the seven foot tall wall of rocks in front of us, rolling to break his fall with a surprising amount of agility.

I didn't have much time to look at the kid, because a zombie came crashing down from the wall immediately after him. It was much less graceful than the boy, so we had time to distance ourselves.

"Tubbo what the fuck! I said not to get their attention!" Tommy blurted at his friend.

"It's just the one, I promise," Tubbo hastily replied, not even noticing me as he staggered to his feet and tried to make his way over to Tommy. But before he could, the zombie swiped at his leg from behind and sent him toppling to the ground.