Ch.26 The First Spell

Chapter 26

Hayden stared at Nora in the dark as she sat holding the little boy in her arms. Her eyes were wide open and filled with uncertainty and fear. Her lips parted as if she wanted to say something but couldn't form the words.

"It's okay," Hayden said quickly to reassure her. "I'm okay....I'm fine."

"But..." a deep frown formed on Nora's lips. "How did that happen?"

"I don't know," Hayden shook his head. "But I'm fine."

Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the door. Nora jumped in fright as Afet's voice called out to her from the other side.

"Nora?"

Noor began to shiver and whimper.

"Nora? Are you in there?"

Hayden sensed Nora's eyes land on him as he sat on the edge of the bed. He could hear her heart pounding with worry as the little boy wrapped his arms around her neck and cried.

"Nora, who's there with you?" Afet asked, knocking once more.

"Give me a second, please," Nora tried to keep her voice even.

Do you want me to leave? Hayden asked through their link.

Hesitating, Nora looked at him and then at the door.

I don't know what just happened, she said as she began to rise from the bed with Noor. But I don't think you should be here right now.

Hayden slowly nodded his head. He understood her fear. If she had been in his shoes, he too would have asked her to leave until they knew what was truly happening.

Will you be okay? Hayden asked, rising from the bed.

Nora nodded, biting her lip to keep the tears from appearing in her eye.

You can come with me....Hayden offered with hope in his heart.

"Nora?" Afet called from the other side once more.

Nora looked at the door and then at Hayden. The longing in her eyes that shimmered in the darkness made Hayden's knees weak. He would never be able to explain to her just how much she could have her way with his heart. He would do anything for the girl standing in front of him....anything. She just had to name it.

I'll be back as soon as you call me, Hayden stepped forward and carefully kissed Nora without touching Noor. I'll take you away from here.

What about Noor? Nora asked, her lips already missing the half jinn as he pulled away.

Bring him with you, Hayden said. For tonight.

"Nora?" Afet grew impatient. "Are you alright in there?"

With a snap of his finger, Hayden vanished into thin air in the darkness. The light came on in the room and the door knob turned on its own. Nora placed her arm protectively around Noor and turned to face the fey at the door.

"My goodness," Afet sighed, rushing into the room. "Are you alright? What took you so long?"

"I..." Nora shifted Noor in her arms. "I was trying to wake Noor up."

Afet's face softened as she looked at the little boy. She reached out and ran her hand through the back of his head, playing with his curls.

As if he wanted to crawl into Nora's chest like a cave and hide, Noor wrapped his arms and legs around her and muffled a sob in her hair.