Ch.24 Smoke Signals

Chapter 24

"Are you okay?" Nora felt a shiver run down her spine as Hayden leaned over and whispered to her.

She nodded her head and hoped to god everyone around the table did not see her blush. Hayden's hand on her thigh tightened under the table as he grinned seeing her flushed face.

Stop, Nora warned him through their mind-link. I know what you are doing.

What am I doing? Hayden asked, playing innocent.

"How many children would you say are on the island?" Clare asked, calling Nora's attention back.

"Maybe about a hundred something," Nora cleared her throat, trying to push Hayden's hand off.

"Hayden can't heal that many children in one go," Ares shook his head.

"No," Maya agreed. "And I can only take a few a day too."

"Shouldn't we be worried about the tree?" Birdie asked. "Save the tree, save them all."

"But do we want to save them all?" Heyder asked. His eyes flickered to Nora before, "Just wondering."

"I don't know about the fey on the island," Nora said honestly. "My interactions have only been with the children."

"So for all we know the adults could be waiting for my wife and son with hot iron rods."

"They wouldn't risk killing off the only ones who can save their children," Clare shook her head. "We need to get on the island before we send anyone."

"Peanut?" Heyder looked at Nora.

"You all promise you won't hurt the children, right?" Nora's chest tightened.

"Of course not," Ares said. "We don't harm children."

"I will go on my own," Clare chimed in.

"No," Ares said at once.

"I can get a better read of the place and the people," Clare ignored her husband. "Tell us where the island is and I will do a check before we send Hayden or Maya."

"Assuming they agree to let us help," Heyder reminded everyone.

"Yes," Clare said. "Assuming that."

Nora slowly looked at Hayden and then at Clare, "Okay...."

"Great," Ares sighed. "We can get sta-"

As the god spoke, a portal opened in the living room, causing everyone to turn in their seats.

"Took you long enough," Heyder snorted as Ali stepped out with Margo.

"Genie!!" a young girl, no more than seven or eight, pushed past Margo and Ali, running straight for Heyder.

"There's my sweet girl!" The jinn held out his arms as Nora watched the little girl jump into Heyder's lap. "Your baba has been hiding you from me again?"

"Daddy says you're too busy," the little girl pushed aside her light brown hair and looped her arms around Heyder's neck.

"Lies," Heyder whispered. "All lies."

"It took us forever to round up all the kids," Ali complained, pulling back a chair for Margo at the table.

"Where's Adan and Zaki?" Maya asked, looking around.

"They're coming," Margo sighed. "I swear I was not this difficult as a teenager."

"I want you to meet someone," Heyder picked up the little girl and rose from his chair.