"Get rid of them."

Get rid of them? The rogues? I do not understand, Andrew called me a rogue, so why did they not get rid of me? "What are you going to do with them, lock them up?" I question.

"I don't have time for this, Ryker, just do as I say." My mate grumbles and crosses his arms over his chest. My eyes stay fixed on his bulging muscles, like a fourteen-year-old girl. I quickly snap myself out of my trance and cross my arms over my chest in response. He does not have time for what, my question?

The man, Ryker, leaves the office in a hurry and I attempt to follow him out the door, but of course, it is not that easy. My mate grabs my shoulders and turns me back around, back facing him. The tingles from his touch slowly spread throughout my body, instantly relaxing me.

"I don't think so," he says.

"I have to go make sure my grandmother is okay. At least let me check on her, make sure she is at home and safe."

He sighs. "Alright, but you are not going alone."

"I don't want to take you away from your work," I protest.

His expression softens. "Evangeline, I don't want to risk your safety, and I cannot trust anyone else right now."

I lightly nod, agreeing to his offer. I tighten the string of the robe, preparing for the crisp autumn weather to hit me roughly when I step outside. Following him out the door, my attention drifts as my eyes watch the tall grass by the tree line. The long blades softly sway in the breeze, making me feel as if I have entered some sort of dream land.

I also watch my Mate.

I am not sure what Alphas do, all I know is that they are the leader of the pack. One of the many things prodding me in the back of the head is the title, Luna. She is the queen to the Alphas king. Will I become Luna? The girl that was locked in an attic then hidden at her grandmother's house, the girl who speaks to a person no one else can see. I do not sound like the person for the job. Not only am I clueless about Alphas, but Luna's also, which seems obvious. How can one know about the Luna and not the Alpha, and the other way around?

"Listen, we aren't trying to cause you any trouble."

My head turns in the direction of the voice.

Off to the right, in the direction of the building, I see three men, one of them being Ryker. The other two look to be standing against the wall, their backs to the dull bricks. "What's going on over there?"

"Nothing, now keep walking," my mate says uneventfully, though there seems to be something going on. As I look closer and think harder, I realize that those two men must be the rogues Ryker was talking about.

My feet begin to lead me in that direction, driving me away from my grandmother's house.

"You are not going over there," my mate grabs my arm. "Just a minute ago you were begging to see your grandmother, so that is what we are going to do."

"What's happening over there?" I question while pulling my arm from his grasp. "Those are the rogues, what are they doing?" My mate says nothing but gives me a certain look. "I want to go over there."

"You are not going over there."

Suddenly, I spin around and quickly walk in the direction my feet are dying to take me in. I can feel my mate behind me. Surprisingly, I notice an object in Ryker's hand, but I cannot see it clear enough to tell what it exactly is.

"I said—" he begins, and I interrupt.

"What is he holding? Is that a... Is that a gun?" Immediately, I start to move faster. "He has a gun," I glance back at shout at my mate, who oddly, does not seem as surprised as I am.