Chapter Six-"Hayden the Heartthrob"

Start from the beginning

"Which requires me to be in there taking pictures of the pep rally," I nodded.

"Why?"

"Because Dastan told me to," I answered.

"Well Vega's an ass that doesn't know what the hell he's doing," Hayden responded, making me crack a smile. Hayden's face started to simmer from the smile. "Social life isn't just about some get-together that no one wants to attend."

"It's in honor of your football team," I reminded.

"Trust me, most of us don't want to sit through our girlfriends shaking their asses in revealing clothing and listen to the fight song and alma mater a million times," he laughed.

"Then what exactly do you think the article should be about?" I asked him, realizing our faces were inches apart, unlike our bodies that were pressed together.

"Well what about a social experiment?" he asked.

"Like?"

He took a deep breath and I did the same. What was he up to?

"Like the reaction to when the rude, popular jock goes out with the beautiful and nice, new southern Belle," he smiled. Everything in me froze except for the heat in my face.

He glanced from my eyes to my lips like when he started walking home. I couldn't deny that I was feeling attracted to Hayden, but there was always Kenneth. I couldn't do that to him.

"Or not," I whispered. He winced and then created space between us. He dropped his arm from my waist and placed the camera strap over my head. He leaned down to place his lips by my ear.

"I think that Kenneth is a lucky guy. It's not common for girls to be so loyal when someone's that far away..." he said, his closeness only making me feel further away from Kenneth. Then he stepped back with a cute smirk. "Don't take any crap at this school, Angela."

"Including from the boys?" I teased. He laughed once as he continued to back up.

"Especially from us boys," he winked before turning to leave.

***

"OH MY GOD, YOU'RE ALIVE!" Cheyenne cheered, embracing me in second period.

"Well yeah..." I trailed.

"I saw Hayden carry you off—well everyone did—and only he came back with a suspicious grin on his face and I THOUGHT HE KILLED YOU!" Cheyenne yelled, gaining the attention of others in the class.

"No. He was just trying to have some fun," I giggled. She stared blankly at me.

"Hayden Marshal does not have fun."

"What are you talking about? Everyone has—"

I was interrupted when Dastan walked between us and basically yanked the camera from my neck.

"Don't you dare think about ever pulling that again, Warden," he scolded.

"It wasn't her fault. I mean, Hayden was the one..."

Cheyenne stopped talking when Dastan's onyx eyes snapped over to her.

"Dastan, can I ask you a question real quick?" I inquired.

"No." I rolled my eyes.

"What the heck has your boxers in a knot?"

He growled and still stared straight at me. He started walking away from me and I followed him to the computer. He opened up the internet and then typed in some URL as I laughed at his fury. What would make this situation better?

Making him even madder.

"Look. I know I was supposed to take pictures at the pep rally—"

"Obviously," he commented.

"—but I think Hayden has an even better plan for the social status of high school...why are you looking at me like that?" I said. He looked at me with dark, dull eyes and then waited for my silence.

"You're so dumb" he insulted. I scoffed. No one had ever told me that before. "All Hayden wants is to get in your pants."

Once again, I scoffed.

"That's a load of—"

"Bullshit?" he finished. I narrowed my eyes at him even though he wasn't looking my direction, instead at the computer screen at what was a social network of some sort. "You wanna know what the trending topic on our school's social site is?"

"Not particularly, but I have a feeling you're gonna tell me—"

"Heartthrob Quarterback Steals Away New-Student, Southern Belle," he read. Shoot. I tried to form words to say, but I failed. Dastan turned to face me with a pissed off expression...or maybe even just his normal expression considering that's how he normally looked at me. "What? No 'aw, that's so sweet' or 'wow, people really pay attention to me here'?"

"I have a boyfriend," I reminded. "This is not okay. Nothing is going on between me and Hayden; and I really doubt he's such a heartthrob here."

"Why's that?" he asked, but I didn't know what he meant. I automatically assumed he was talking about Hayden being a heartthrob because if it was any of the other reasons, he surely would've interrupted me.

"Because he's such a jerk to everyone and not a person that girls want to associate themselves with, let alone leave themselves to any kind of heartbreak—unexpected or not," I reasoned.

"So that's why you're so attracted to him," he pinned. I blinked. Was he serious?

"I am not attracted to Hayden," I lied. Suddenly, Dastan stood up and neared me immediately, making my breath stop.

"Then what the hell is the difference between me and him?" he hissed.

"I...I don't know," I stammered.

"You do know!" he hissed. I realized that people were now watching us and so did he. That's why he looked around for one second and then glared back at me, not at all nervous of the bystanders. Well, at least this gives me hope that he won't hurt me. "You naive little girl—"

"Mr. Vega!" Mrs. Hayes warned. He immediately looked over to her with sweet eyes feigning innocence.

"I'm sorry for disturbing your class," he muttered with absolutely no hatred that he so clearly proved to the student body. "I'll take it to my responsibility to leave now."

With that, he did what he said by grabbing his bag and leaving. I turned to face everyone in the class and they all snapped their heads away from me, besides two people: Cheyenne and Mickie. Cheyenne sent me apologetic eyes while Mickie wanted to rip my throat out from across the room.