Chapter 36

Aaliyah POV

I feel my nerves wrecking my mind every moment after Aaron left. He's had to repeatedly send me messages throughout the day to tell me everything was going fine.

But how am I supposed to stay calm when my mate, the man I love with everything I am, is actively going out of his way to attack the hunters. I'm just supposed let him go without worrying at all. I don't know how to do that.

We just crossed the border, I hear Aaron's thought echo into my mind.

Looking over to the clock on the kitchen wall, I see they are making great time since picking up Phoenix.

And everyone safe so far? I ask, knowing the answer but still needing him to say the words anyway.

Yes, my love, his strength washes over our bond, I'll call again in two hours.

Okay, I concede from begging him to stay with me longer. He needs to keep his head clear and I'm a distraction.

Stop, angel. You are never a distraction. You are my strength. I love you, my angel.

I love you too, my whisper echoes before we both drop the connection.

"Based on that silly grin on your face, my son has said something romantic," Zea's voice makes me jump, having completely forgot she and her husband have been with me since the second Aaron left.

The blush runs up my cheeks, "He called me his strength."

Zea sighs a small awe and James moves in behind her to wrap his arms around his mate, "I knew I raised him right."

James laughs at Zea's words and kisses her cheek before looking back up to me. Over the last few weeks, Aaron's parents have been here whenever Aaron calls on them. I feel almost as relaxed and safe with them as I do with Aaron.

James was shocked at first when I started really talking to him, but now we all seemed at ease. I still jump when someone moves to fast or if a guard I don't recognize comes into the house, but I feel safe here with them. It's a feeling I treasure.

"Strength he will need," James says, "Thank you for giving him strength, Aaliyah. You will help him become an amazing Alpha."

"I know he will be, but what if I'm holding him back?"

"Oh Aaliyah," Zea stands up from her stool and takes my hands in hers, "You aren't holding Aaron back. Since meeting you, I have watched my son turn into the man I always knew he was going to be. You did that. Your strength and love have made him who he is now, and I can't wait to see you both grow even more."

"You call me strong, but I can't even let him go a few hours without asking him to check in with me. He should be focused on protecting himself from the hunters, and I'm too selfish to let him focus."

James chuckles slightly at that, "You think you checking in a few times is bad? On my first mission after meeting Zea, she made me keep the line open the entire time and wouldn't stop talking while I was trying to infiltrate the rogue pack."

"Hey!" Zea turns and slaps the back of her hand against his chest, "I wasn't that bad."

"Baby, you wanted a play-by-play every second," he laughs and Zea sticks her lip out a little in a pout.

"So I'm not being ridiculous to worry about him too much?" I wonder.

"No. You worry because you love," she smiles, "And happy you both have that kind of love."