Chapter 36

Naruto sat down next to Garou as they both ate pan-fried pork belly. The crunch of the fried fat made Naruto's mouth water as he continued to gorge himself on food. Garou, meanwhile, didn't care about the flavor, as he just ate whatever was in front of him.

As they ate, Naruto looked at the giant boar carcass, wondering how they killed it. He could make a few assumptions that his sensei killed it or maybe Shizune, but the closer he looked at it, the more he realized that Shizune was picking bone splinters out of the meat before putting it on the cast-iron pan.

"Hey, Shizune, how did you guys kill the giant pig?" Naruto asked, popping another piece of pork belly into his mouth

"Oh, funny story about that, Baku killed it," Shizune replied with a smirk

"Wait, Baku killed it?"

"Yeah, just as the sun was coming up, Baku landed in the forest and accidentally squashed it... along with those," Garou said, pointing at the back of the cave. Naruto turned his head to see a few more dead boars, a bear, and a deer, all of them almost flattened as Naruto sweat-dropped.

"Wow, guess breakfast was really easy this morning, huh?" Naruto stated

"Not quite, I'm still picking the bone splinters so that we don't get holes in our stomachs," Shizune explained, reaching into the pig and pulling out a pork loin with what seemed to be a few of the vertebrae in it, making her frown and slump forward.

"Eh?" Naruto gave her a strange look.

"*Sigh* Eating pork bones can cause you to get holes in your stomach, like fish or chicken bones. This causes intestinal perforation and peritonitis. In other words, they poke through the stomach lining and cause a bacterial infection leading to a life-threatening disease," Shizune explained, still removing poke bone fragments. Meanwhile, Naruto was lost when she started using big words, much like his sensei.

They both stared at her for a while before they took another bite of their food and said: "What?"

Shizune just looked at them both as her eyes twitched and she just grunted in anger, "Why do I even bother," she mumbled under her breath.

In a Corner of the Cave:

Mikoto slowly opened her eyes, only to see more darkness. Feeling the texture of the bag on her face, she quickly deduced that her head was covered in a burlap sack.

'Huh, almost like my genin years,' she thought as she found that her hands were tied to her sides, 'they didn't even bother to tie my hands behind my back? Urgh, amateurs.' slowly reaching for her feet, she stuck a finger in her sock and pulled out a small razor blade. Pulling it out, Mikoto moved her arm around to start cutting the rope but stopped when she heard people speaking.

"I'm gonna go take a whiz, be back in a bit."

"I need to go too."

"Alright, come back soon. The food may be gone when you get back."

'Wait, that last voice... Naruto?' Mikoto waited a few seconds before continuing to cut the rope. Once she managed to cut the rope, Mikoto quickly unwrapped herself and took off the sack. Looking around with her eyes still adjusting to what light was in the cave, Mikoto saw a giant sack next to her and at the entrance of the cave was Naruto, eating what smelled like pork to her. Turning back to the sack next to her, she opened it to find Sasuke sleeping soundly.

Closing the bag, Mikoto threw the sack over her shoulder and ran to Naruto, catching him by surprise when she scooped him up and handled him like a suitcase as she jumped out of the cave and into the trees.