Chapter 5: Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts

Start from the beginning

"You aren't worth my time," he said sitting with a proud smirk.

"Yeah, back off like the little coward you are."

I sat back at the table but that didn't stop the staring. If you didn't know who I was, you did now. Me and my friends finished breakfast and left for defense against the dark arts.

"That was awesome!" Kyra exclaimed.

"Honestly, I was a bit dramatic, it wasn't worth all that," I said laughing.

"Maybe not," Aiden agreed, "But sure as heck was entertaining!" 

A few minutes later the Hufflepuffs trickled in, and they were all staring at me. I heard various good jobs as they passed. Why was everyone so afraid to stand up to this kid? That's all he is, a kid.

"T-today we will be talking about dark o-objects. C-can someone n-name one?" Quirrel asked the class and I raised my hand.

"Yes miss p-potter."

"Slytherin locket," I answered.

"A-and why i-is is c-cursed."

"It puts anyone who wears it in a foul mood. It makes the wearer cruel," I answered.

"C-correct. T-ten points to R-ravenclaw."

Kyra high-fived me under the table. I may not like the professor, but I loved that class. After that class, we had potions with the Slytherins and Gryffindors.

"Hurry in, I will be assigning Ravenclaw's seats, "Snape demanded.

The Gryffindor and Slytherins had potions before this as well.

"Hayden Potter," he said staring me down, "will be with Mr. Riddle."

I smiled at Mattheo and went to sit next to him. The entire class was silent like they were scared for me. I know what his brother did, but who's to say he's his brother? 

"Good luck," Blaise mumbled as I walked back.

"Miss Potter, why are you talking in my class?" Snape demanded.

"W-what?" I asked confused, didn't I have to take this class?

"Tell me, where would you find a bezor?"

"In the stomach of the goat," I answered.

"Sit. Down."

"Yes sir," I answered ignoring the giggles from the class.

"How did you know that? Weren't you raised by muggles?" Mattheo asked me. 

"I was, but I read some books before I got here," I whispered to him. 

We made small talk throughout the class. He was still being mysterious, not giving too much of himself away. Part of it is, I don't think he trusts me at all, which I do understand. After potions, we kept going from class to class, and I was loving it all. I was good at most of the classes, but part of it was I seemed to be one of the few who cared to open the book before class. Then we got to flying. I had never been the athletic twin and expected this to be the same.

"Up!" I commanded, and the broom came up immediately. 

Aiden struggled standing next to me before finally just picking his broom up.

Madam Hooch had us float, but Aiden was struggling. He kept going higher and higher and couldn't go down. He was starting to panic, and he was going to hurt himself if he wasn't careful. I tipped up my broom and flew up to help him. The more he panicked, the faster his broom flew up. Suddenly, his broom flew up ninety degrees causing him to fall.

"Aiden!" I screamed and dove to catch him.

I managed to barely grab his arm, keeping him from hitting the ground. I don't know how I kept my balance, but Aiden looked at me thankfully.

"You're my hero!" He exclaimed as I lowered us both to the ground.

"Miss Potter, follow me," Madam Hooch said, a smile on her face.

She took me through the castle and stopped at the potion's classroom. She called for a kid named Roger Davis to walk out.

"How can I help you?" Roger asked Madam Hooch.

"I know you've been looking for a fast keeper, who has good instincts, and can keep her balance. I found her," Madam Hooch said pointing to me. 

"Isn't she a first-year?" Roger asked confused.

"I am. I'm Hayden Potter!" I introduced myself, confused about what was happening.

"Potter? She has the James gene?" Roger asked and Madam Hooch nodded. 

"Well then. Welcome to the Quittich team, Hayden. Meet me at the Quittich pit tomorrow at seven," Roger told me.

I agreed and walked to The Great Hall where my friends were. On the way, I ran into Mattheo. I literally, ran into him.

"I'm so sorry!" I said and quickly went to help him grab his books.

"Watch where you're going, Potter," Mattheo said with a playful smirk. 

"Mattheo, can I ask you something?" I asked him, his eyes still watching me.

"If you must."

"What's Quittich and what's a keeper?" I asked him, confused about the new words.

"Why?"

"Because apparently, I'm doing that," I said with a shrug.

"You made the team as a first-year!" Mattheo exclaimed, confused. 

Mattheo explained to me the basics of what it is, and what my job in quittich will be. It sounded fun so now I'm excited. After that, Mattheo walked me to The Great Hall. I went and sat by friends, and told them what happened. They were both happy for me and we enjoyed dinner as usual.

I mean what at Hogwarts could possibly go wrong?