Ninety-six (part one)

It's honestly not that Remus expected the Quibbler to do much. Because the trial was dismissed, and the Prophet was more than happy to run that article on Sirius, the public was no longer in solidarity with Remus. And they weren't against him either, just very confused.

At least that's what Miss Hall told him. Dusting the shelves for the six hundredth time today, Remus wishes things were different.

"Excuse me, Mr. Lupin?"

Remus spins around, expecting a customer looking for assistance. And he finds himself facing Professor McGonagall, who's looking at him quite amused, like she just played the century's magic trick on him.

"Professor," he blinks. "It's... I'm sorry, you caught me by surprise," he blushes. "Are you looking for something? Can I help?"

"I was looking for you, Remus," McGonagall says, adjusting her glasses on her nose.

"For me," Remus repeats.

"No, dear. Not you," Miss Hall pops her head from behind the Professor, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "She's clearly here to buy a magic carpet. Aren't you, Minnie?"

McGonagall purses her lips at the older woman. Remus isn't sure how old McGonagall is, but there should be at least twenty years between them. At the very, very least. Or it might be fifty, Remus isn't sure. They both look ancient, that's all he can tell.

"I'm just saying," Miss Hall shrugs, "the boy can be a bit thick sometimes. I'd say it comes with being a boy, if half the women I've met aren't the same."

Remus gives her a look. She pulls a face at him.

Professor McGonagall clears her throat. "If you don't mind, Ginny," she says, "I'd like a word with Remus."

Remus bites his lip.

Miss Hall raises an eyebrow at McGonagall. "Do I go or..."

McGonagall looks at Remus. "If it's okay, Professor," Remus says, "Miss Hall can stay."

Miss Hall bursts into a massive grin. "Ha," she points at the Professor, "I told you the boy likes me. Do you believe me now?"

"Yes, Ginny," McGonagall says, and purses her lips.

"I only have two cups, we'd have to go somewhere else if you want tea," Miss Hall says.

And so the three of them end up outside, Miss Hall happily linking arms with Remus and Professor McGonagall ahead of them, her favourite pointy hat Reducto-ed and tucked into Miss Hall's purse because it's so last century.

They go to the same café Remus took his parents to.

Even after Remus returns with the drinks, for a minute, they all stay quiet. Even Miss Hall.

Eventually, though, Professor McGonagall speaks up.

"I suppose I'll give you my news first," she takes her glasses off and tucks them in the neckline of her gown. Remus watches on, curious. "Professor Dumbledore and the school board are ready to conduct your interview."

Remus blinks. It takes him a minute to even realize why he needs an interview.

"An interview?"

"Yes, Remus," the Professor says, "an interview. I trust that you're aware of how we hire our Professors."

"I..." Remus bites his lip.

"What's the matter, dear?" Miss Hall raises an eyebrow. Remus can't tell if she's genuinely concerned or not.

"I just... I don't know, I've hardly studied anything since... Since I lost my house and all my books were there and I don't really think I-"

"Friendly reminder," Miss Hall interrupts, "one must always remember to breathe intermittently as one talks, unless one wishes to be most uncomfortable,"

Remus gives her a look.

Professor McGonagall clears her throat. "I see how it is," she says, "Unfortunately, Remus, I'm afraid your only other choice is to cancel the interview entirely."

Remus swallows. "I... I can understand," he says softly, looking down at his tea. "I just... I'm not sure if I wouldn't."

Both the witches in front of him look startled by the admission. They exchange a look, and Remus can't figure out what that means.

"You've changed your mind about Hogwarts?" Professor McGonagall asks.

Remus sighs. "It's not that..." He pauses to find the right words.

He can't.

"It's just that I'm... I don't know, I don't want to say no, but I'm not sure if I want to say yes, either."

"Is it because you're a werewolf?" Miss Hall asks, subtle as ever. "What I mean is, because everyone knows that, now. I say fuck that, dear. Fuck the haters, is that what they say these days, Minnie?"

Professor McGonagall looks appalled. "I wouldn't know," she says with a frown of disapproval. "But I do agree with Ginny's sentiment, Remus. Not the words, but the sentiment."

Remus nods.

"It's your choice, of course," the Professor adds. "However, I would consider it rather unfortunate were you to decline solely because of what a babbling bumbling band of baboons outside the school might say. You were one of my best students, Remus. I would appreciate you, and so would Hogwarts."

Remus can only stare, completely in awe. "Thank you, Professor. That... That really means a lot to me," he says, feeling his cheeks warm up.

"Aw, look at him," Miss Hall grins. "He's blushing,"

"Leave the boy be, Ginny," Professor McGonagall says. Miss Hall makes a face at her.

"I do have something else I wish to talk about you with," McGonagall says. "And Ginny," she turns to her friend, "do, for Merlin's sake, keep quiet while I do,"

"Oh, you know me," Miss Hall wriggles her eyebrows. "I'm the best at keeping quiet."

Professor McGonagall purses her lips.

In some ways, Miss Hall reminds Remus so much of Sirius.

"What is it, Professor?" He asks.

"Several things, actually," McGonagall replies. "Your trial, the wildly different stories in the Prophet and the Quibbler, and... That leads me, of course, to my very dear student," she pauses and takes a sip of her tea. "I'd also like a word about Sirius."