Chapter 30

A/N: It's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished Felicity and Adam's alternate ending. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and review this story and to those who loved Adam as much as I did.

LadyG

It had been two weeks since Felicity had last seen or heard from Adam. Two long weeks in which she'd tried to bury her head in work and pretend that he didn't exist. It was hard though, especially when she missed him so much at times that it was hard to breathe. But life had a way of forcing you to move forward, even when every step seemed to hurt more than the one before.

Intel on Judge Thompson's connection to Perez had been slow in coming, but she'd finally cracked it the day before. Thompson's penchant for gambling had resulted in the loss of his family's financial security. Hoping to regain some lost footing, the judge had agreed to turn a blind eye to one of Perez's drug operations and cashed in big time. He'd been naïve though, and once was all it took to ensure that he'd never escape the king pin's clutches. Perez owned him. There would be no escape.

Glancing at the clock, Felicity gathered her belongings and started the familiar routine of shutting down her computer and gathering her belongings. It was still early, but it would probably be better if she made her way to the foundry; there were still lots of preparation to be done. The plan was to catch Thompson and get him to give up Perez.

Reaching for her company access card, Felicity stood. She was about to grab her handbag when she heard footsteps behind her. Turning, she froze.

It was Adam. And he looked gorgeous. Impeccable as always in a navy blue suit, his shirt was a crisp white, his tie matching pinstripes of blue and grey. His beautiful blue eyes, a permanent fixture in her dreams of late, were focused intently on her.

Just seeing him caused all of the feelings and longing and loneliness she'd pushed aside to come rushing to the fore. She'd missed him. In truth, she hadn't thought she'd ever see him again and now here he was, right in front of her. She wasn't prepared for it. Her heart started pounding, her palms grew slightly clammy. What was he doing there?

"H-hi," she said uncertainly, running her hands nervously down the front of her short, black and white print dress.

"Hey," he replied, his gaze never leaving hers as he stopped a few paces from her.

He was close enough that she could see the laugh lines bracketing his eyes, smell the faint trace of his cologne. She itched to touch him, wanting to run her fingers through his light brown hair, smooth her hands over his broad shoulders. Since she obviously couldn't do that, she clenched her fists in order to quell the impulse.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her eyes continuing to drink him in. He looked tired.

"How are you?" Adam deflected, his voice low.

Felicity swallowed. How was she supposed to answer that question? She'd convinced herself that they were over, that he probably hated her, that she'd never see him again. She was miserable. However, "okay," seemed like the safest response. "You?"

He grimaced. "Not too great, actually."

They stared at one another. "Why?"

Adam started to say something and then hesitated. "I know that you were the one who gathered all the Perez intel for me. I never thanked you."

Felicity frowned. That wasn't what he'd been about to say. "You came all this way to thank me?"

"Are you sorry that I did?" he asked softly.

She was confused. "Adam, you're not making any sense. The last time we spoke you broke up with me," her voice cracked slightly. "Now you're here, thanking me, and I can't figure out why. Nothing's changed."