Chapter 18

Erik and Aethelflaed both sat before the Witan the next afternoon. Aethelflaed had dressed carefully, in her finest clothes and with her hair in a crown of braids. She wanted to look like a queen. Erik, she was glad to see, looked like himself. He wore his Thor's hammer around his neck and his leather tunic, even the fur across his shoulders, though it was a warm day. The sides of his head were freshly shaved and he had lined his eyes, giving them a touch of darkness. He had not compromised; he presented himself honestly, as if to ensure the Mercians knew exactly what they were getting. She loved him for it, that stubbornness they shared.

It was Lord Brogan who led the proceedings. He called Erik forward. "The Witan has been informed that you are willing convert to Christianity. Is this true?"

"It is, lord. I will be baptised as soon as the witan wishes."

"And will you be baptised like Lord Uhtred, for appearance only, or will you attend mass and pray to God?"

"I will attend church as often as my lady wishes," Erik answered smoothly, "and we all know how pious she is."

Aethelflaed admired how Erik skillfully dodged the question.

Lord Edric cleared his throat. "Why should we believe that this is not a ruse set up so Danes can further invade Saxon land?"

"I have given my word, lord. This is not a scheme or a ruse. This is a partnership between Lady Aethelflaed and myself, and between Mercia and Danelaw."

"Your word means very little to me," Lord Edric replied. "You have a reputation as a warlord."

"How well do you know Lady Aethelflaed, Lord Edric?" Edric seemed thrown off by Erik's unexpected question. "Not well, I presume. But you must know of her reputation. She was educated by her father and the finest scholars in Wessex. She was trained by Uhtred and Steapa, great warriors, both. She has her mother's love of Mercia, and – if rumour is correct – Lady Aelswith's obstinance. Which is to say she is intelligent, fearless, and brutally stubborn. Courting her – seducing her – is not an easy task. And to do it all for a chance to invade Mercia? It would be a waste of time and effort, lord. If I wanted to hurt Mercia, I would have left if to Oddvar's army. Or I would have joined with Oddvar's forces. Or perhaps I would have killed Lady Aethelflaed alongside her husband at Lichfield. All easier and more effective strategies than pursuing a marriage with an exceedingly difficult woman whose values oppose my own in every way, only to turn on her and her people. Which is to say no, Lord Edric, I have no desire to destroy Mercia. If I did, I would not be here before you."

Aethelflaed had to place her hand on her mouth to hide her smile. Erik's description of her made her feel a little smug.

"It was a simple question, Lord Erik," Edric complained, looking a little defeated. "It only required a simple answer."

Erik laughed. "There is nothing simple where Lady Aethelflaed is concerned, lord."

The ealdormen had questions for Aethelflaed, too, about her plans for the kingdom, her choice of advisors, and her ties to Wessex. She answered as honestly as she could. Finally, she and Erik were dismissed, though they did not have a chance to speak to each other. He was ushered away by Finan and Sihtric, likely at Uhtred's behest. Perhaps she could have stayed, if she pushed, but she was tired of listening to the men speak. She gratefully made her way out to the courtyard.

"Well, lady?" Wulfric appeared beside her.

"They are deliberating. But I am beginning to change my mind about the whole thing. I think we should ride away from here and leave these fussy men behind us. You, too, Wulfric, and your carpenter." She looked at him a little sheepishly. "I'm sorry, by the way. I was too intrusive yesterday."

The Prisoner -- The Last Kingdomजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें