But first he would have to set a few people straight. Content with his wrappings, he sent the attendant away and called on his guards to bring in the conspirators.

"Yes, my King."

The guard said as he pushed open the door. He watched as a pair of castle guards pulled the three of them forward. The woman had tears running down her face as she fell to the ground, begging for mercy.

"Please my King we have done nothing wrong. Have mercy on our poor souls."

He lounged in her chair, watching the woman bow before him. He revelled at the sight of her, the sight of holding someone's life in his hand. The power was addicting, and it was his.

"My King! My wife was not aware of the goings-on at the Homestead Inn. I was the only one! Punish me, but please have mercy on my wife and nephew."

He watched the man grovel and crawl toward him. He raised a hand at the guards that went for their weapons when the man grabbed his feet.

"Please my King!"

He smiled. Watching the man humiliate himself.

"You say your wife and nephew are innocent, but my men have told me that your wife served the Merchant Council as they planned their riot and that someone had paid the men to attack the castle the night of All Souls." He watched the man's mouth open in shock.

"No! You are mistaken. She only served them their food. She had no hand in anything else."

"You call your King a liar?"

The shock and fear that crossed the man's face was perhaps the best sight he had seen that day.

The boy spoke.

"My aunt and uncle are innocent. They run a good clean business. They are praised and held high in their neighbourhood. My King, you are punishing the wrong people."

He turned his attention to the boy that had remained silent until now.

"What is your name?"

"Luke"

Leaning forward in his seat, he looked at the boy. He recognized him as the one who questioned him during All Souls.

"Your aunt and uncle are conspirators. They conspired to overthrow the kingdom and in turn cost the lives of many innocent men and women. Now tell me, what is the punishment for treason?"

He watched the boy glance at his family. At the woman who was now reduced to sobs against the carpet. He would have to replace it.

Turning to the boy he asked again. "What is the punishment for treason?"

Reluctantly, and to the joy of him, the boy answered. "Death"

"For your honesty, I will grant you a lesser sentence."

Turning to the guards standing on either side of him, he nodded. They grabbed the man and woman by their collar and resting their swords against the back of their neck he looked to the boy again.

"The punishment for treason is death."

And with those words, the guards brought down their swords and the sobs that had not ceased finally quieted. The sounds of two heads hitting the carpet echoed in the room.

He would definitely have to replace it now.

The boy had only flinched and seeing this he watched him with curiosity.

"You may leave."

He said as the guards opened the door and the boy obediently stood up and left.

Once the door closed behind him and the two bodies had been removed from his chambers, he called in the captain of the Royal Guard.

"Yes, my King."

He watched the large man bring his fist to his left shoulder as he kept his head bent. He was a good choice, loyal and obedient. After his previous captain's body was found with his throat slit, he had picked the largest man in his guard to take his place. It just so turned out that he was also fiercely loyal to him.

"The boy that just left. Keep an eye on him. He might be a problem in the future."

"Yes, my King."

He nodded and he watched as the man bent his head further. "Anything else my King."

"That is all. You may return to your post."

The man brought his fist up to his left shoulder again before turning to leave. He watched his retreating figure, clad in the golden armour of his Royal Guard.

"Wait," he said as the guard pulled open the door. "What is your name?"

He met the eyes of the hulking man, realizing this was the first time he had dared to look him in the eye.

"Nic"

A/N This marks the end of book 1. Story continues in the sequel, A Crown in the Mist. Chapters will be posted starting September 2021.